Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is why you don't use Reloads in a $2,000 gun

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
More accurately this is why some people shouldn't reload. And if it had been a Ruger it probably would have survived.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,485 Posts
My stepson was told by me when he wanted to take my M-29 S&W to the range NOT to be using reloads in that pistol. I round out a few month's later that him and one of his buddies were going to the gun shows and buying reloads by the bag full to use... They never took that gun out of the house again.....

Yeah, I reload for my 500 but I spent about 2-3 month's buying reloading books, researching on-line etc., before I even started buying my set-up!! And since I use Titegroup, for right now, I am exTREMELY Anal when I reload especially when I throw the powder and lock the bullet in which is completed 1 bullet at the time!! I use about 12.2gr of Titegroup which is not very much in the case so a double throw can happen very easily if you're not careful!! A double throw of this is 25gr's and will easily exceed the guns maximum pressure rating of 60,000psi!!!!

So I Don't like to be interrupted when I reload...... 😉😎😎

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use about 12.2gr of Titegroup which is not very much in the case so a double throw can happen very easily if you're not careful!! A double throw of this is 25gr's and will easily exceed the guns maximum pressure rating of 60,000psi!!!!

So I Don't like to be interrupted when I reload...... 😉😎😎
so no radios blaring Rock 'n Roll while you are Reloading????

I spent two weeks with my son ( 46 now ) and he is into reloading BIG TIME, and I noticed the extreme measures he uses to clean the primer sockets, roll before cleaning the sockets, then roll them again, and then clean the socket before he inserts the primers.... ANAL to a Tee.

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
I pick the primed brass up out of a tray, throw the powder in it if it is a powder I can trust to throw a consistent load, otherwise I weigh every charge, then set it in the loading block and when all done I can look in the cases and see if they are all charged and even. It's just as bad having no powder as too much. Most rifle charges are nearly a full case so double charging is impossible, light pistol loads are where you have to be the most careful.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,485 Posts
So no radios blaring Rock 'n Roll while you are Reloading????
🤣🤣 Actually If I don't have any music on I'll kick on a movie to listen to while I'm Playing!! Tinnitus Ya know!! 😉 And Dave I weigh every charge also using a calibrated digital scale, recalibrating every 10 rounds or so.. I've found that with Titegroup the fuller the hopper is, the more consistent it is!!

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
. I've found that with Titegroup the fuller the hopper is, the more consistent it is!!
True with most powder measures. I have a very old Herters powder measure with baffles in it, very consistent as long as the powder is above the baffles.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
This is my first post in this forum. Didn't know it existed until today.

I have a couple of progressive presses that I trust completely. I won't mention names (not sure if that's allowed) but they are both Blue. Been using them for over twenty years and have NEVER had an issue. I am picky about my components however. For the most part I use once fired brass. I reload shot shells until there's a crack in the crimp or other damage somewhere.

Safe shooting and a late Happy New Year!!

Rayjoe

Reactions: DaveO430

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
This is my first post in this forum. Didn't know it existed until today.

I have a couple of progressive presses that I trust completely. I won't mention names (not sure if that's allowed) but they are both Blue. Been using them for over twenty years and have NEVER had an issue. I am picky about my components however. For the most part I use once fired brass. I reload shot shells until there's a crack in the crimp or other damage somewhere.

Safe shooting and a late Happy New Year!!

Rayjoe
I never could justify going progressive but I do have a Lyman turret press I use only for tooling pistol brass, I seat primers with a RCBS hand priming tool & do most of the bullet seating in a seperate press. Sure it's fine to mention brand names.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had all RCBS back in the '70s when I used to do a lot of 22-250 shooting at varmits and coyotes.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Thanks John,

Both presses are Dillion. When I first started reloading I could load 9mm for about .04 cents a round and 12 gauge for .10 cents. I would buy powder in 8 lbs kegs, primers in 10k lots, and shot by the half ton. I used to shoot a lot of trap but the price of shot jumped way up. There would be 40 to 50 people at the gun club on trap night. Those days are long past.

Oh well, It was fun while it lasted.

Rayjoe

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
Thanks John,

Both presses are Dillion. When I first started reloading I could load 9mm for about .04 cents a round and 12 gauge for .10 cents. I would buy powder in 8 lbs kegs, primers in 10k lots, and shot by the half ton. I used to shoot a lot of trap but the price of shot jumped way up. There would be 40 to 50 people at the gun club on trap night. Those days are long past.

Oh well, It was fun while it lasted.

Rayjoe
Yep, just primers if you could find any are more than 4 cents each. Just plain lead bullets are .08 or more.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts