Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So I finally got all the electrical issues worked out I think, new coils, new battery, reconnected everything..I had previous turned the engine over several different times with the kick starter. I figured it was Ok as to timing and belts etc. valves set correctly.

So I hit the starter button and over she turned for a few seconds..I let up and was going to try again..and it locked..on the second try..now I can't turn it over with the kick starter. So off come the belt covers and what a mess in there; all rusted up, white power stuff all over too. But the timing looks right..I can't turn the engine to line things up but it stopped just a bit off the arrows and the marks and both sides are just off the marks so I figure if I could move the crank they would line up just about right. I also checked the valves for the loose ones..and the 1/3 side is loose on the three that should be loose at TDC and one on the 1/4 is loose like it should be....

So it doesn't seem like it hit a valve unless one got hung up because of bad valve guide sticking.

I did pull the plugs to make sure it wasn't locked due to fuel..and it wasn't; note I am running it form a temporary gas "tank" and I only put enough in the fill the carbs bowls. The rear wheels spins freely so it's not in gear.

So any other ideas besides a stuck valve that kissing a piston???

And any ideas how to get all the rust of the front end while it's in place..everything is rusty..cam wheels, tensioners, the back plates it's a mess. Pics later maybe..but it's hard for me to look at it..I want to :crying::crying::crying:

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

With the crank I can't move it clockwise and if I try counterclockwise wise the bolt loosens up before it moves the crank. I assume the same would be true if I tried it at the stator bolt..

the covers one brushed off a little the other as I found it..

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Heck, looking at that makes even me want to cry!! You just know the owner that allowed that to happen wasn't a dedicated winger.

I'd go ahead and pull those belts and trash them first thing, then popped the heads off and see what gives with the valves. I bet one of them is stuck in.

Know anyone with a bead blaster cabinet?

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
imported post

do you know the history of this bike? it lookes like it sat in water with that much rust in frount. witch could lead to a lot of problems. ( i hope not ) can you put it in gear andmove the wheel backwards to get the moto to turn? you could be 180 off on the timing marks. i wish you the best of luck. JIM

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Up to you, of course, but I wouldn't even try to start that thing. With my luck, one or both of those tensioners would lock up or fail. Then things get expensive.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

You need to pull the heads and have a look inside. Could this be a Katrina bike? It looks like it has been submerged in water.

One area for engine seizure that is usually overlooked is the alternator rotor. The magnets are attached to the outside of the rotor and one can come loose and get jammed between the rotor and stator. If that happens, there is no way the engine will budge.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

This engine clearly looks like its been under water. I've never seen a picture like you posted from any goldwing no mater how bad it's been serviced. There are drain holes in both of the covers over the belts so no moisture can accumulate.

Looks like it might have been in New Orleans or at least somewhere it flooded.

I think the best plan is to look for another engine or bike. No matter what you do to get it running its always going to have issues.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Gee, I hadn't thought of that..not too many floods in AZ unless it got caught in a wash during a down pour.

What gets me is I did turn it over at least a dozen times with the kick starter and it turned over easily and freely..but when I used the starter..it jammed.

I'll try the wheel in reverse and see if it will move back a little..then I'll pull the heads..and see what I have. If I have to part it out I'll be pulling it apart anyway..

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Take the timing plug out & see what you can see on the flywheel. I would think that there would be some rust on the flywheel if any amount of water got into the bike, also take off a cam cover & see what you've got. The inside parts of the bike are sealed from the outside ie: oil & water can't get out ( so considering the reverse they can't get in ) except in certain locations ie: carb/exhaust.

The starter seizing up indicates to me that it engaged but won't release. Could have got wet. If bike turned over with kickstarter its not seized. The starter has locked the engine up.

It willl be interesting what you find. You might get lucky. It has to happen once & a while.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I think you need to pull the starter and check the clutch. Inspect the chain that the starter sprocket goes in and then check it for rotation. I believe it is supposed to turn freely one way and have resistence the other.

Have you done a oil change yet? I would think the condition of the oil drained would give you some indication as to weather or not the engine is worth persuing.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

The oil was black and low and seemed to be all oil, just not much of it..I flushed the system once with some solvent and got some of the old residue out it now has new oil in it I figured to run it 100 miles or so and change it again.

When I pull the covers off I found that the 2/4 side was 3 teeth off..but how could I turn the engine over several times with the kick starter with it like that???

The fly wheel shows no signs of rust.

I was also able to rotate the engine back a bit before I loosened the valves with the wheel in 5th.

I loosened all the valves and was able to turn the engine over with the kick starter,

When I backed off the valves all of them moved out as I released the pressure..so maybe I haven't bent anything.

I have removed the cam wheels the 1/3 side was much worse then the 2/4 side and the back of the cam wheels showed very little rust..so I doesn't seem like it's been under water..maybe in the way of a sprinkler??? or under a down spout..just guessing here.

I plan to put it back together, set the valves and turn it by hand again.

I have cleaned it up and she looks fairly good..all the rust and white deposits came off fairly easily..the belts were toast. I could actually see the fibers coming loose on the teeth.

I'll give taking the starter off a try..no pipes on her right now anyway so it's easy enough. But how can I turn the sprocket to move the chain///any tips on an easy way to do that...Whisker..anybody??? I actually have an old starter that I took the guts out of maybe sticking the end in with body off would give me something to turn the sprocket with???

Keep your fingers crossed!!!

Oh yeah, happy St. Pat's day to all you green people...

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

i would hope that u dont have a whole lot of money in this bike,because it sounds and looks like a used "ebay" motor would be worth persuing

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Keep plugging away. Sounds like your making progress.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

You should be ablt to rotate the starter chain with your fingers.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Now that I can rotate the engine with the valves backed off completely doesn't that eliminate the starter jam and or the stator plate issue as a potential issues??? or not???

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

I wouldn't worry about replacing the motor until you've chased down all the gremlins and determine that this motor is toast. As far as missing teeth on the timing belt, strange things can happen. I believe you are doing great. The timing belts needed changed anyway. Buy new ones. You'll need them even "if" that motor is toast, to replace the ones on the next engine. Keep at it. Be certain that the cams are timed properly when turning it again. Heck, you may not have damaged anything, but If you've bent "a" valve, it may be still clear the piston. Unless you're very "flush", I would see what the actual problems are with this motor. Probably just a matter of putting this one back into service. Terry

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Well, that's the plan for now maybe this A.M. I can get her put together and set the valves and she if I can turn her over with the kick starter..I have new belts, the tensioners are good spin freely and no noise.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

RB wrote:
Now that I can rotate the engine with the valves backed off completely doesn't that eliminate the starter jam and or the stator plate issue as a potential issues??? or not???
Yea they should be ok.

On the tensioners I might play with them in the shop but no matter what I would not let those go on the road. Do all your tests and work getting the engine running and maybe get a couple of hours of running time in the shop but if you determine that the engine is salvagable before buttoning up and going on the road the first time I would replace those. With that much corrosion inside the covers those bearings are going to be pitted and they will not last.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.