Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

SAT FEB 28: Myrtle Beach HELMET FREEDOM Ride: Meet at The Beaver Bar (3381 Hwy 17 Business, Murrells Inlet) beginning at 11:00am. Ride Departs At Noon.. Participants will be given instructions and route details just prior to the departure of the ride. All participants in this Helmet Freedom Ride do so as common adventurers. Local bikers may coordinate this ride but no one is considered a leader of this ride. All participants take responsibility for making their own decisions, including, but not limited to, whether to participate and what equipment they choose to use or not, such as safety equipment (helmets) or vehicle equipment (mufflers). Rain Date is March 7, 2009...

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Yep,,,,,,,, makes a good name for us all,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NOT!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

HAHAHH.. Wear no protection and stay home if it rains..LOL

Rain date??? What the hell is that. Are we going on a picnic or bike ride

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
imported post

Some people say motorcycle drivers are irresponsible. Events like this reinforce that.

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

The organizers should realize cops are like duck hunters. They don't shoot every duck, just the unlucky ones.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I am very much against 99 percent of what our government shoves down our throats also. I really hate restriction of my freedom of choice.

I would like to line all the hand wringers up weekly and go down the line and just slap them all. :) Actually would prefer to just shoot them. :cooldevil::cooldevil:

What these fellows do not seem to realize is their own actions work against them. I would not ride a bike without a helmet and gear, but I used to. I fully understand the joy of the open road and the freedom of spirit of this mindset.

I do not feel anyone should be restricted in things that only affect them. Loud pipes that make you dive under a car and start digging a fox hole, yea I suppose I can see toning them down a bit.

Well let me shut up, I will just make most of you mad. I understand safety gear, helmets, and with time and experience we all learn to wear it. We would like a chance to return home and live to ride another day.

Just bear in mind those guys are not bad guys. They just are a bit miffed at the hand wringers and want to impress them. Thing is they always shoot themselves in the foot.

Kit

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
imported post

Many years ago WV did not have a helmet law and like everyone else I did not wear one. But in their infinite wisdom the WV law makers decided we needed them so they passed the law. I told my wife I guess I would go ahead and get one and try to get used to wearing it. 2 days after buying it I had a wreck and believe it or not if I wasn't wearing the helmet I would have been seriously hurt maybe even killed needless to say that since that day I have always worn my helmet.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

Royak:

But, it was that HELMET that caused you to ride dangerously in the first place! Up till then, no helmets, no wrecks. Get a helmet, think you are Superman!

Just kidding, of course.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
imported post

Don't know why but I always wore a half helmet in the early 60's-occasionally I would ride with out one.I had this false delusion I was invincable.It showed in my riding style (Goofy).Any way it was repaired so many times ($was real tight).That was back when a strap webbing was all you had under the helmet.Nice-light-cool in the heat-.Then I had a time when I rode often with out a helmet.When My kids were born I always wore one - I had to stay in condition to ba able to work & support them. I hate helmets but will wear them. Howeve I hate the idea that we are forced to wear them.That should be up to me.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I can relate to both sides, I didn't wear one either, I rode a chopper, didn't want to be seen with one (young years). Didn't have to anyway, but one day I did wear one (I knew I was going for a ride in the mountains) well, a coyote ran out in front of me, I should have run it over, but I swerved, I went down hit an embankment broke my ankle in three places, pined to this day, my helmet went flying. I figured what the hell, lot of good that did. But when it was handed back to meI inspected it, it was cracked. Could have been my young head, wore one ever sense after that, even before it became law.:cool:

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I think wearing a helment should be optional,,,,,we need more organ donations!!!
At least this would weed out the bad organs (brains) from the system!!

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

If I was there I would ride with them and I might or might not where a helmet. Because I enjoy the freedom on occasion and I think we are going to half to fight to keep a lot of freedoms on the near future.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
imported post

Here in Wisconsin there is no helment law... was repealed back in the early 80's, I think. IMHO, it should be a choice, but going about it as these riders in Fla. are is most likely the wrong way. Soon we will each live in a little plastic bubble, isolated from everything that COULD harm us, with warning stickers pasted all over every surface... UMMMM, just shoot me now! PLEASE! ;)

Todd

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

Must be to dangerous or uncomfortable to ride in the rain, imagine that!
What muaymendez1 said!

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

It would be interesting to see the rest of the world shaded in also. Ontario, and I think all of Canada would be RED - helmet required.

UK, Ireland, and most, if not all of Europe would also be RED.

Anyone any comments on the rest of the world out there??

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

You know every time someone brings ups this subject, 'holier-than-thou' people come out of the woodwork to badmouth riders who CHOOSE not to wear helmets.

As long as it's not against the law, who gives a crap? And what makes you so rightto say they're wrong for not wearing one?

By the way, some people in society would define just RIDING a motorcycle as organ donors. So all you holier than thou's need to park your bikes in a junkyard and climb into your cages. Riding a bike is more dangerous than driving a car, deal with it. Some people might say that wearing a helmet is more dangerous than not wearing one. In the right hands, a bike canavoid an accident easier than a cage can. In the wrong hands, a car is more dangerous than a bike.

I'd have liked to vent and really speak my piece, but there's no point in it. Some people are too blind to see, so why even bother pointing out the obvious about choices.

And for anyone planning on posting helmet safety statistics, give it a rest. We're all grown-ups and can order our own dinner.

I'm done. Stick a fork in me.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

The point of my post wasnt to bring up the helmet issue. It was to bring up the response of some bikers to Myrtle Beach's discouraging of cycle rallies.

I happen to agree that their acts are simply shooting themselves in the their collective foot, and will do nothing to achieve their goal, while the rest of us have to live with the attitudes they create.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

ob1quixote wrote:
The point of my post wasnt to bring up the helmet issue. It was to bring up the response of some bikers to Myrtle Beach's discouraging of cycle rallies.

I happen to agree that their acts are simply shooting themselves in the their collective foot, and will do nothing to achieve their goal, while the rest of us have to live with the attitudes they create.
I agree,Seems like they will get that town even more upset when they ride thru,no helmets,no mufflers and when the wife and I want to visit myrtle beach again on vacation with the wing,,,,will the people of Myrtle Beach look down on us too?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

redeyes88 wrote:
ob1quixote wrote:

I agree,Seems like they will get that town even more upset when they ride thru,no helmets,no mufflers and when the wife and I want to visit myrtle beach again on vacation with the wing,,,,will the people of Myrtle Beach look down on us too?
I was in Myrtle Beach with a group of over 80 Wings last Saturday. I rode down with our group and we met groups from about six or seven other clubs. We stopped on the way down to get fuel and talked to people in the store and people just in the parking lot. We always do make friends where we go.

We rode down Kings Street downtown and met and ate at Grandma's Kitchen downtown. We had with us several motor officers from Charleston. We just wave at the police and they will wave back. No one bothers you, no one is even concerned that you are there.

Our bikes are quiet, we all wear helmets, most are more clean cut and the jackets and gear we wear is more the Mattel Rider type stuff. Very few wear the chaps and leather jackets and dress like easy riders.

No it is all cool. If you are a responsible person and just treat people with respect, they welcome you just like any other southern town.

It was not the Harley riders and lack of helmets and loud pipes entirely. The loud pipe thing was a great aggravation to some , especially in the parking garages where the pipes would echo off the walls and set off car alarms, but it was tolerated. Several of the towns have restricted bikes from parking in the covered garages, and for good reason.

It was another situation that was the catalyst for the situation. One day I will get into that, but would just prefer to avoid it as it will get into a heated discussion. Feelings will get hurt, and it is not a discussion to have on this forum.

Just so you know, it is cool at the Beach. The police will not bother you. The people are nice and will welcome you.

Many of the things you have heard are not so. The spring Wing Rally will be out of the town limits this year. However you are not restricted from riding into town and if you just act responsible you should never have a problem.

Those who wish to challenge the law, will simply pay the price, fines and maybe even a few bikes taken from them . It should not concern anyone really, let them play their game as they wish, they will try a time or two and then find out the price is not worth their lack of gain. Idjuitts abound in all walks of life, even among our biking communities, they will learn that sitting down with the townspeople, and simply discussing things will gain them much more. Tricks like riding though town in flagrant disregard for their laws will only cause the ones who conduct these kinds of things heart ache, fines and possibly the loss of their bikes.

The ban will eventually be lifted. There are several groups already who are sueing the town. Our state at the moment, only requires helmets for any rider under the age of 21?? not sure about that one would have to look it up. Any municiplity can pass and enforce its own laws but challenged in court it will be ruled unconstitutional. Unless of course the legislation changes the state law.

Meanwhile just be cool. It is not even a concern to Wingers.

Kit

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.