Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
25,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a new power supply in my PC, the fan in the old one sounded like a model airplane. While I was there I attached a SSD hard drive I have had for a while and cloned the main to it. Everything seemed fine for a while then it just shut down and would only stay on for a few seconds so first I disconnected the SSD, still no joy, then I found I had let one of the extra plugs off the power supply get caught in the processor fan. I have been running it for a while now with the side panel off, processor runs cooler that way. All seems to be back to normal now. Proud the 8 year old machine still works.
Wondering if I should put the SSD back in or just save it in case I need it.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I can't imagine not having an SSD boot drive anymore. By far the best performance bang for the buck there is. I just swapped in an M.2 drive in a box yesterday as the SATA SSD it had was having problems, and for once I caught it before it completely packed it in.

·
Administrator
Xenforo vehicle detail line
59,258 Posts
that SSD used as the main boot drive, is the single best thing you can do for an old war horse.

secondly, is to add some more RAM to it, Windows loves RAM, and if you get 8gB or more, it will load up totally into RAM and run much faster, once loaded.

I have an old war horse, 1.8gHz cpu, a slow metal spinning HDD of 1 TB, it takes that thing about 3 minutes to come up and settle down so that I can use it.

the case has never been opened, it is now 12 years old....
it is a prime candidate for me to open it up, BLOW out the DIRT,
and replace the HDD with a SSD, and add 2 more gB RAM to the 6 that it has now....

back then, I could not afford the extra expense to go 8gB... 6gB was the biggest thing in Fry's Electronics at the time.

·
Magic Moderator
4,524 Posts
You can find some decent deals on RAM on Ebay, I purchased 8gb RAM DDR3 2 sticks for 28.99 that came out of a new laptop, one 4RAM new was 24.99 and sets were over $40.00.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts