Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Trip planning tools I have used.

My wife just found it the other day (uner her side of the bed :cheeky1:- after "indicating" I'd lost it :cheeky1:). We used this on several ride plans and it continues to be one of our most valuable resources for our 18 day 6000 mile vacation ride this summer. Just thought I'd share...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Begin and End here:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Go over up and around here:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Over there and down through here:

Attachments

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
imported post

Love it :cheeky1:

I like that kind of planning. Mardonna and I just get in the car on our Sunday trips, I back out of the drive and ask her"what you think? "

works fine from here :) we end up going to dinner or gawking in a new place every weekend :D

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Ooops forgot one - down through here to get back to Cali...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Love it :cheeky1:

I like that kind of planning. Mardonna and I just get in the car on our Sunday trips, I back out of the drive and ask her"what you think? "

works fine from here :) we end up going to dinner or gawking in a new place every weekend :D
Yeah that is what we do locally. On longer trips nothing replaces the "local knowledge". This book provides some of that - close to 500 pages and it fits in a glove box or under that little trap door thingy in the Goldwing trunk:).

I checked it out last nighta few are only partials but we are going to ride 25 of these in 18 days on our big trip this year - can't wait!! :cool:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Just ordered one offa Amazon. Thanks.
$7.03 delivered.
Caint beat that.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

You can forget the 17 mile drive at Monterey. It's private, and they kicked us out with the motorcycles. Those elite self rightious SOBs. Interestingly enough, the guy in our group that they said "NO" to at the guardgate was an important owner of a well known company.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

sandcastcb750 wrote:
You can forget the 17 mile drive at Monterey. It's private, and they kicked us out with the motorcycles. Those elite self rightious SOBs. Interestingly enough, the guy in our group that they said "NO" to at the guardgate was an important owner of a well known company.
Yep - that's OK been there done that - before it was closed to bikes. You can still go through -in a car - but you have to pay a park fee now. Heard it was ruined by the rice rocket guys insisting on racing it. After one too many deaths due to pushing it in the sandy corners they closed it to bikes. I still saw a few guys - individual bikes - just ignore the guard and ride on through - they may have policed that now though.

The alternative now is Pacific Grove - which I like better anyway.

We're way beyond thatfor our ride - we will be quicklky running up toShasta for our first Scenic Byway on the Volcanic Legacy Hwy.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

Unfortunately, I wasn't impressed with the pub despite the NG yellow.

IMO, the roads were selected more based on business interests and chambers of commerce than drivers/riders.

It did have some interesting comments and a number of roads appeared there as well as in other great road sites. It also gave me a better idea as to where the roads were located [geography obviously wasn't my best subject].

I got far better information, and rode far better roads, by spending time looking at ride reports, magazine articles, and numerous internet sites. It does have value, just not enough for me to recommend it [and I got my copy free].

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

ccsailor wrote:
Love the way your guys maps end at the border!!!
Did they pave theroads in Canada already? Neat, eh?:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

ccsailor wrote:
Hmmm... not sure which you are talking about. The one that is the topic of the starting of this thread does have routes that cross the border and it goes into them. Plus - itIS called 275 Best drives in the US ... I wonder if they have one for Canuckistan? :shock:Huh - never checked 'cuz I've never ridden that far north before.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Blackdog wrote:
ccsailor wrote:
Hmmm... not sure which you are talking about. The one that is the topic of the starting of this thread does have routes that cross the border and it goes into them. Plus - itIS called 275 Best drives in the US ... I wonder if they have one for Canuckistan? :shock:Huh - never checked 'cuz I've never ridden that far north before.
Well on a recent trip down there We went into a gas station looking for a paper map 2 states south of the Can/us border. It had all the roads in surrounding states in it but only the trans Canada north of the border. Have a closer look its there all the time Slowly getting better

a pet peeve of mine

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

ccsailor wrote:
Blackdog wrote:
ccsailor wrote:
Well on a recent trip down there We went into a gas station looking for a paper map 2 states south of the Can/us border. It had all the roads in surrounding states in it but only the trans Canada north of the border. Have a closer look its there all the time Slowly getting better

a pet peeve of mine
OH - 2 states south - now I get it. Since you added more information it is clear that it has nothing to do with the poor map makers - it is just that no one expects wingers to be off that far from home - LOL :cheeky1:

By the way - do your maps purchased in Canada - extend far south into the US? Just wondering - I've never bought maps in Canada - well, at least not since Buffalo. I used to need to be able to find my way to "Brador" - :blackstuff:

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
imported post

Been many years since I lived over yonder but in lieu of 17mi I can recommend old hwy 1 through the redwoods. Think it was all dirt though so i'd go when it's dry out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.