Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Love the bike, but was worried at first about clunking gears. My first thoughts were that I just needed to adjust from my Honda V45 Magna 750 to the 1200 Interstate, figured it was just me.

Well it was not getting any better, mostly 1st to 2nd. I googled clunking gears in Gold Wing and I quickly found out this was the norm, read multiple posts of Goldwing owners that stated this was the norm. Read what some do to solve the problem.

What I have found is this, works great for me, have put 1000 Khm on bike in about 2 weeks. from a stopped position in first gear, I almost immediately switch to 2nd after I am in motion in first, seems to be nice and smooth.

My 1984 GL 1200 interstate came with 30 day warranty, I had to use it, seemed like clutch was slipping, but all fixed after discovery of dirt/air in system, they bled system put in fresh fluid and all is good now, was actually a plugged tiny hole in master cylinder...piece of grit whatever.

On my 1200 GW I find turn signal button unsatisfactory. You have to pull it back to stop signal after turning left or right. On my Magna you just press it and it stops by it self.

My stereo sound is unsatisfactory as well, I need to get better speakers for starters, possibly a new stereo as well? This one is not the original it seems, it`s a cassette am/fm with cd input. I can plug in my mini apple ipod to cd input, but need better sound.

That`s my only thoughts for now... I exaggerate about signal switch problem, perhaps it needs some lubrication, had not thought of that until now.

Almost forgot, the headlight stopped working, took apart to get out bulb but bulb was good, checked all fuses, but all good.

Google and discovered starter switch probably stuck, or hi/low switch . I followed instructions from google, sprayed wd40 inside starter switch box, pressed starter button with key off multiple times after saturating inside with wd40, and all is good now.

So am really fine with everything, I feel like I have the gear clunking solved, just poor stereo sound and a little dissatisfaction with turn signal switch.

Am very glad I purchased, engine sounds fabulous, very quiet, no pinging or anything

FANTASTIC FORUM :)

Attachments

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new ride!

As for the turn signal switch, as I recall you should be able to cancel it by pushing the switch, but also, there should be an auto-cancel.I thinkthere is a small solenoid at the handlebar switch that kicks it off if I remember correctly. On the 84 Standard I had, the switch was all gummed up so the auto-cancel was not working, so you may want to take that apart and clean it up and lube it.

John

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Yeah, what John said... I can't for sure talk about the interstate, but both my '84 aspy and my '85 LTD had the self cancelling and if that doesn't work just push the botton and it cancels. Either something's wrong with the switch or it's different for some reason... maybe post a pic if the cleaning/lubing doesn't work.

On the clunk, if you've googled it or searched this forum, you've probably already heard the Delo suggestion, but just in case you haven't, next oil change give it a shot. Doesn't seem to work for everyone, but it sure did wonders for mine.

Oh yeah, welcome to best dang forum out there :waving:

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
imported post

My '85 Interstate has self-cancelling turn signals and you can also manually cancel them by pushing on the turn signal button.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Thanks all, I will try to take apart and lube switch, also will try delo solution

Thanks

Will post back any success I have with turn signals

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
imported post

about the clunking on shifts...once you get used to your bike that will help as well. for mine the right rpm is about 2700 to 3000 rpm for no clunk.

Good luck
Chris

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Try the Radio Shack electrical lube and cleaner. $10 will solve quite a few of those problems.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

larryinseattle wrote:
Try the Radio Shack electrical lube and cleaner. $10 will solve quite a few of those problems.
Assuming the mechanism on the Interstate is the same as it was on the standard, that mechanism requires a bit heavier lube than what's in the electrical lube cleaner. I used a white lithium grease on the standard.

John

·
Steve
441 Posts
imported post

All is correct to fix switch. I did find one thing interesting. I had my speedometer cable break last week. As I was riding I came to notice that my auto volume on the radio stopped working which I figured it would. But it also affected the self canceling turn signals. They would not work at all. As soon as I got the new cable in the self canceling started to work again. Just a little FYI.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Thanks guys...update on turn signals is this...Opened up switch box cleaned up, worked a lot better, I actually used wd40, yes I know nobody suggested that, but is what I used.

Auto signals not working at all still, took out again, and switch fell apart on me, got it all together on work bench, 3 springs, 3 copper whatevers all in a pile.

I finally managed to put it back together and it`s working better than it was, but no auto signal.

I am going to leave well enough alone, it`s working pretty well. Turns easy and free.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.