Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did a coolant change on my "98 SE and I wish to share what I learned doing it...........

1. Despite what the Clymer manual instructs and recommends it is both impossible and unnecessary to remove the reserve tank to empty it. Save yourselves a lot of work/grief and just suck out the fluid in it. I used my shop vac and taped a smallish diameter piece of tubing to the end of it.

2. It appears to me to be unnecessary to rock the bike from side to side to get the last bits of coolant out of it..........I got slightly more than the amount the manual claims is in there simply by draining at the water pump and sucking out the reserve tank.

3. Be very careful with any of the rubber fittings going into the reserve tank as they become very soft and rotten with the passage of time. Have had to order a new fill tube...........not a disaster, nor expensive - just a pain in the [email protected]#.

4. Both Peak Extended Life and STP Extended life are silicate free and widely available (And as a bonus, manufactured just down the road from me!)

5. The coolant capacity appears to be slightly more than 4 U.S. quarts (3.8 liters where I live) so you may feel it necessary to buy more than one large jug of coolant if you wish to fill to the top of the indicated correct level on the reserve dip stick.

All in all, not that difficult a job, especially you don't do as Clymer suggests and disassemble your bike sufficiently to actually attempt to remove the reserve tank. Just siphon it out.............

Hardest part for me was finding a supplier of the "tube, level" which fell apart in my hands (cost $6.50!).

Cheers everyone!

T.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Nice write up.

It's a good thing you ended up replacing that Tube Level, as a broken one is a common source of overheating problems.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice write up.

It's a good thing you ended up replacing that Tube Level, as a broken one is a common source of overheating problems.

Yeah..........had a feeling that a damaged one wasn't good!

T.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't forget to R&R that little copper flat washer on the drain bolt near the water pump !

Roger that..............not saying I wouldn't forget to reinstall (checker history on that!) that but I made a point of checking for it this time! I'm sure I should have replaced it with a new one, but..........

What I DID do was replace my air filter and reassemble everything and then found one, silly, little screw for the filter box lying on my garage floor the next morning...............sigh........disassemble.........put screw in place..........reassemble.........

Cheers!

T.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I have that very job to do this winter, thanks for the timely writeup on your experience with. I was sweating taking the reserve tank out, now I'll use a good ole turkey baster to get it out.....dumb question here, what and where is the tube level, thanks

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Thanks
Just did a coolant change on my "98 SE and I wish to share what I learned doing it...........

1. Despite what the Clymer manual instructs and recommends it is both impossible and unnecessary to remove the reserve tank to empty it. Save yourselves a lot of work/grief and just suck out the fluid in it. I used my shop vac and taped a smallish diameter piece of tubing to the end of it.

2. It appears to me to be unnecessary to rock the bike from side to side to get the last bits of coolant out of it..........I got slightly more than the amount the manual claims is in there simply by draining at the water pump and sucking out the reserve tank.

3. Be very careful with any of the rubber fittings going into the reserve tank as they become very soft and rotten with the passage of time. Have had to order a new fill tube...........not a disaster, nor expensive - just a pain in the [email protected]#.

4. Both Peak Extended Life and STP Extended life are silicate free and widely available (And as a bonus, manufactured just down the road from me!)

5. The coolant capacity appears to be slightly more than 4 U.S. quarts (3.8 liters where I live) so you may feel it necessary to buy more than one large jug of coolant if you wish to fill to the top of the indicated correct level on the reserve dip stick.

All in all, not that difficult a job, especially you don't do as Clymer suggests and disassemble your bike sufficiently to actually attempt to remove the reserve tank. Just siphon it out.............

Hardest part for me was finding a supplier of the "tube, level" which fell apart in my hands (cost $6.50!).

Cheers everyone!

T.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have that very job to do this winter, thanks for the timely writeup on your experience with. I was sweating taking the reserve tank out, now I'll use a good ole turkey baster to get it out.....dumb question here, what and where is the tube level, thanks

My pleasure............and the "tube, level" or level tube is located in the center of the reserve tank. A hose runs from the radiator cap to an inlet at the centre/side of the tank near the top and the level tube consists of a grommet with a tube on it which inserts into the tank and stretches to the bottom of the tank. If you look up on a parts diagram from a supplier you will find it listed and shown in a diagram as part of the reserve tank.

I do encourage everyone to try the job - actually pretty easy once you work out what, exactly, is really necessary to do the job. You might find that a turkey baster is a little awkward and that a piece of tubing might be easier to get to the bottom, right hand side of the reserve tank, which is irregular in shape.

One question I do have though. Does anyone know of a torque requirement for the drain bolt?

Have fun!

T.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do want to make it clear that I used premixed coolant and thus required more than one large jug. If you are mixing your own, you will require just one jug - and the unmixed is available from both brands I mentioned.

Cheers again!

T.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...Does anyone know of a torque requirement for the drain bolt?...
I don't think there is one, or if there is then it would be Too Small to be useful (eg Probably about 10 inch-lbs)

Just make it Snug, and if it leaks, then tighten it some more. Extra brownie points for adding some lock wire.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So if you had to replace the overflow tube , from radiator to overflow tank , as I understand it, what about the main radiator hoses , from radiator to engine ? Mine is 22 years old , only 34K miles ; considering that , does that time age affect the water pump also ?

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So if you had to replace the overflow tube , from radiator to overflow tank , as I understand it, what about the main radiator hoses , from radiator to engine ? Mine is 22 years old , only 34K miles ; considering that , does that time age affect the water pump also ?

My other hoses appear fine, however one never knows. My 1500 is 15 years old and had 130,000 kms (80,000 miles) on it and the hoses and water pump appear fine - but ya never know. The tube which came apart on me came apart at particularly thin portion at the top where a hard plastic fitting squeezed in while everything else appears to be much more robust.

It is my personal opinion that one can over complicate things and over maintain our bikes based on the fear that something bad just MIGHT happen. Despite being "paranoid" my personal experience is that sometimes when you "over maintain" you can end up in a situation where you "wish you/I hadn't STARTED that!" - ahhh.......there's the paranoia!

Sooooo.........I choose to maintain my 1500 based roughly on Honda's recommended maintenance intervals and simply monitor the condition of everything else.

Others don't agree but so far my 1500 hasn't let me down, other than when the stator failed and another time when the front tire blew out at about 80 mph on grooved pavement - now THAT was exciting!

Just to show that I live on the edge, I also use Fram oil filters, K&N air filters and non Honda coolant! Running for cover now..............:ROFL:

Merry Xmas, everyone!

T.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
RUN T, RUN!:lash:

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
FASTER!:shock:

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I use the Wix/Napa filters, and off Honda antifreeze!

You feel better now that your not all alone in the race!

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I use the Wix/Napa filters, and off Honda antifreeze!

You feel better now that your not all alone in the race!

Sob,...............I am not alone, after all...........:thumbsup:

running.........running..........running..........

T.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.