Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Aspencade SE
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it a good b=or bad idea to use steel toe boots as riding boots??

Your thoughts?

·
Administrator
26,529 Posts
I can't imagine any problem other than getting the toe under the shifter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I had my old BMW. In the winter I tucked my boot toe under the cylinders and let the steel caps soak up the warmth Just saying

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Rode to and from work for many years using Timberline steel toe boots. Never had an issue.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
860 Posts
Riding the 1100 on the freeway a few years ago and front tire flipped up a small chunk of "Road 'Gator" (piece of tire tread) into my right foot. Sore toes a couple days, steel toes would have helped.

The good thing is I missed the really big 'gator the chunk came from.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have a pair of boots with steel toe's that I have had for 5 years and thousands of miles. The only problem with them is they are heavy. They are made by Skeetcher. Good Boots but as I get older they are gaining weight on long rides..LOL Also I can't bend over to tie them like I use too. Have to sit down.

·
Registered
79 Posts
always safety boots for me. I use the composite safety toes and not steel. always get ones with a decent shank in them also. would prefer a steel shank but don't seem to be available anymore.
colder weather insulated ones are a must.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I know someone who lost all his toes when the steel toe was crushed in a MC accident. Sheared them off. Made me a believer in good old leather

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,145 Posts
I know someone who lost all his toes when the steel toe was crushed in a MC accident. Sheared them off. Made me a believer in good old leather
and where I used to work, in a shop warehouse, a worker dropped a heavy piece of steel and it landed on his Steel Toe, clipped all of his toes off...

not that they would have survived anyway w/o the steel toe cup.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Is it a good b=or bad idea to use steel toe boots as riding boots??

Your thoughts?
I have a heal-toe shifter on my GL1200 so really does not matter what boots I use. But before the heal-toe shifter I only used western boots, because it was easier to get the toe under the shifter. LOL Well starting to snow, so putting the bike away until spring...

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Well like any thing you will find pros and cons about them. the best safety gear can be bad in the right situation. I had on these when another rider slammed into the back side of my wing and we went down and drug my left side a long way. I think these boots saved my toes

Reactions: AZgl1800

·
Registered
108 Posts
I’ve ridden with both kinds before. No issues either way, but since I don’t NEED steel toes anymore, I wouldn’t spend the money for them. So, use ‘em if you got ’em, or use what you have. No big deal.

·
Just one of the guys
4,804 Posts
I wore a pair of lineman’s boots for years while riding. They have a fiberglass toe cap and shank. They worked well.

Whenever I hear one of the stories about someone having toe damage from steel toed boots being crushed I always have to wonder; how bad would the foot have been damaged without the steel toes? I bet the outcome would have been no different.

Reactions: GLblinded
1 - 15 of 15 Posts