Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the experts
I am in the process of changing timing belts on my 2000 GL 1500. I have been following the Tutorial which advises to use red thread lock on the belt tensioner bolts. My question is how hard will it be to get the bolts out again or would blue work ok
Thanks
Old Buck

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Huum,I have never used any threadloc on any I’ve changed,do all the other bolts need threadloc?

·
Administrator
25,551 Posts
Huum,I have never used any threadloc on any I’ve changed,do all the other bolts need threadloc?
Me neither. Honda puts the stuff on bolts that don't make any sense, like one of the engine mount bolts you have to remove to change the timing belt on a V6, the only one you can't get a socket on.

Reactions: redwing52

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
A Goldwing won’t ever see any vibration👍👍👍

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys
I used the blue and got the belts on. Now just need to put it all back together. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Honda thread lock colors are not the same. don't use off the self red thread lock.
from tech manual "Apply a locking agent Use a middle strength locking agent unless otherwise specified."
timing belt section calls for medium strength.
I get my hondalock from rockymountainatv.com. lower cost than loctite.

Hondalock 1 – Low-strength, blue colored threadlock for frequently removed and/or low-torque fasteners. Protects against corrosion and wear. Resists vibration, moisture and most chemicals.

Hondalock 2 – Medium-strength, orange-colored threadlock for medium- torque fasteners.

Hondalock 2HT – High-temperature, red-colored threadlock for medium-torque fasteners in high-temperature applications such as cylinder head exhaust studs.

Hondalock 3 – High-strength, green colored threadlock for semipermanent and or high-torque fasteners. Helps retain gears, bearings and pulleys to their shafts.

·
Administrator
25,551 Posts
Honda thread lock colors are not the same. don't use off the self red thread lock.
from tech manual "Apply a locking agent Use a middle strength locking agent unless otherwise specified."
timing belt section calls for medium strength.
I get my hondalock from rockymountainatv.com. lower cost than loctite.

Hondalock 1 – Low-strength, blue colored threadlock for frequently removed and/or low-torque fasteners. Protects against corrosion and wear. Resists vibration, moisture and most chemicals.

Hondalock 2 – Medium-strength, orange-colored threadlock for medium- torque fasteners.

Hondalock 2HT – High-temperature, red-colored threadlock for medium-torque fasteners in high-temperature applications such as cylinder head exhaust studs.

Hondalock 3 – High-strength, green colored threadlock for semipermanent and or high-torque fasteners. Helps retain gears, bearings and pulleys to their shafts.
Looks just like permatex colors, who probably packages them for Honda.

·
Administrator
58,946 Posts
think I will get some of that HondaLock #1
and use it on the screw under the bags, the trim keeps loosing the screws, and hanging down.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Loctite colors & numbers
Purple #222 Low strength
Blue #243 (lock and seal) Medium strength
Red #263 (stud & bearing mount) High strength
Green #640 (sleeve retainer) Super strength
Blue #220 (wicking for preassembled joints) Low strength
Yellow/Green #290 (wicking for preassembled joints) Medium/High strength
Blue #425 (plastic, super glue based) Low strength
Of course there are hi-temp versions of most of these and a few other options like mil-spec variants.
Seems like the names and numbers might have changed over time, too.

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
450 Posts
Loctite colors & numbers
Purple #222 Low strength
Blue #243 (lock and seal) Medium strength
Red #263 (stud & bearing mount) High strength
Green #640 (sleeve retainer) Super strength
Blue #220 (wicking for preassembled joints) Low strength
Yellow/Green #290 (wicking for preassembled joints) Medium/High strength
Blue #425 (plastic, super glue based) Low strength
Of course there are hi-temp versions of most of these and a few other options like mil-spec variants.
Seems like the names and numbers might have changed over time, too.
Never saw the 425 before. May be good alternative.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts