Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello, brand new to the world of Goldwings. My new 2012 bike has what feels to me like excessive play in the throttle. Is this normal, or is there an easy adjustment I can do to reduce the free play?
Thanks in advance for the help.:)

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

The nuts on the cables under the bars can be adjusted. But be careful, overdo it and the cruise control will act up.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

A 2012 would still be under warranty so all you should be doing is checking the fluids and brake pads etc. All adjustments are the dealers responsibility.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
imported post

I agree with Ken. That way if the dealer knocks the cruise off, he will have to fix it.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks guys - I went to the dealer, and he told me that when the handlebars are centred there is quite a lot of play in the throttle, and that is normal. He then proceeded to show me that when you turn the bars in either direction to full lock, the free play almost disappears. Well you learn something new every day!;)

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Steve L wrote:
Thanks guys - I went to the dealer, and he told me that when the handlebars are centred there is quite a lot of play in the throttle, and that is normal. He then proceeded to show me that when you turn the bars in either direction to full lock, the free play almost disappears. Well you learn something new every day!;)
Yep test #1 after installing and adjusting throttle cables is to turn the bars from lock to lock and check for changes. If free play changes the cables are routed wrong, binding or to short. If you're happy fine but if the bike were mine I would be demanding it be fixed.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the advice. Today I spoke to another dealer's Goldwing tech, and he told me how to reduce the free play, and check if it was reduced too much. He said that as long as the throttle snapped back with the handlebars at any point from centre to full lock, it was ok. I have reduced most of the free play now, and it feels 100% better when riding! :smiler:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.