Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a plain throttle body for an EFI conversion on my GL1000. This would be just to control air flow; the type you see on vehicles with multi-port injection. Anybody have one or know who sells them? I can find plenty of big ones, but nothing in the 38mm range except for one place where they won't sell kit parts, only complete kits. A little bigger is OK, but not much, 42mm max.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Check the MegaSquirt forum for a fairly reasonable list of TBs (My saved link to their thread) - Like most forums, there will be multiple threads on the same topic...

A good trip to the local motorcycle junk yard may help as well. A lot of these M/C injector racks can be easily cut down into individual TBs with just a little patch work (the '02 GSXR650 could work for ya, if you're sure you want a 38mm)

If you get stuck, I've had some fun with "Extrudabody" stuff in a few itterations... Kind clunky but good value for a written check.

I'm kinda wondering about the 38mm size, but I'm not very familiar with TB sizing for the top of a plenum with long runners... For reference, the 2013 GL1800 uses [email protected] 40mm (22.5 cc/mm-bore) TBs

I'll be interested to follow your updates (please :) )

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a set of (4) 38mm bodies from a Yamaha, but I was hoping to make the project a little easier by buying a unit I could just bolt on without modification. I'll have to cut things off and plug the injector hole and a few little holes as well if I use the Yamaha body, plus modify the cable interface, etc etc etc.

I've built a Megasquirt ECU, made runners to replace the carbs (I'm using the original plenum, blanking off the holes I don't need), scavenged the 4 injectors off the Yamaha unit. I have to make the injector bungs and braze them into the elbows and make a plenum cover to mount the throttle body. Fortunately I have a parts bike so I can do all this stuff and still ride the Goldwing until I'm ready to switch over. Let me tell you, this EFI conversion project is like going back to school.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.