Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

First of all, let me just say a BIG thank you to you guys and to Steve Saunders, both for this forum and for your help. And a big shout out to SuperSkyPilot Steve for some personal help. I just finished rebuilding my starter, putting fresh belts on, and replacing head gaskets. And without ya'lls help, there's just NO way I could've gotten it all done. Much to my surprise, it not only didn't cause a major explosion when I first hit the start button, but it also ran. THANK YOU!

I was having some trouble in the lower rpm range and figured it has to do with the carbs, so I thought I would tackle that job next. I've gotten everything loose except the throttle and choke cables. Two questions: Anybody have a layman's explanation of how to best remove those cables? And, should I take the carb to manifold elbows completely off of the carb before removal?

Once again, thank you guys so much for your help. This has been a fun job to learn and I really appreciate you guys.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

When you unbolt the manifolds from the heads, move the carbs to the left and then it will be easier to get the cables off.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,326 Posts
imported post

Those cables can be a bear to get to.

The first time my stator went out, the mechanic re-routed the cables to the outside of the frame. It's a little tricky getting the top compartment back on but it certainly makes carb work easier.

Yes, just take the intake tubes off and get them out of your way. Cover the holes up so you don't drop your cell phone or pocket watchinto the head.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Hey thanks you guys! But what specifically do you loosen to get the cables loose? I'm a newbie and haven't messed with them before and I don't know if you need to loosen the nuts that are around the cables or something that they attach to on the bracket. Also, is there a trick to making sure they go back on with the same amount tension in them?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,326 Posts
imported post

Yes, loosen the nut. Even thoughthe cable issupposed to be secured, it's best to hold it with a second wrench. Once the cable is loose enough, pop it out of the holder and push it to the right to get it loose enough to take off the wheel.

·
Administrator
27,923 Posts
imported post

If I remember right one you loosen the nut on the cable housing side and the other the nut on the end toward the carbs. There is a tab on the bracket that holds the nut from turning, on one side of one cable and the opposite on the other, sorry can't remember which is which. Nothing to worry about adjusting there.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

GREAT help! Thanks! I got the cables loose. It looks like there is one more line attached to the carbs and I'm not sure where to take it loose. One end starts at a box on the dash right behind the fuse box and snakes it's way under the carbs and looks like it stops at the same place the fuel goes in. Also, the carb to manifold elbows twist easily enough but they don't seem to want to come off very easily. I think I read somewhere that they were bonded in place for a reason and I don't want to screw that up. Do you just pull hard to remove them? Last thing--when you're sliding these out, is it safest/easiest to slide them to the left(left if you're sitting on the bike) or right?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,326 Posts
imported post

Loosen the clamps on the elbows a little more and pull them off. The rubber is permanently secured to the elbow.

I think you are thinking of the vacuum line coming off the ECM. Just unplug that from the "T" and drag the hose out.

The choke cable hooks up under the front of the carbs. It is easier to remove the two screws holding the bracket to the plenumthan to try and undo the cable from the bracket. Then carefully lift the cable straight up.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Hey, Dennis? I'm not sure if that's your name, but THANKS for the help so far. The cleaning is going well. I'm just wondering, what's the screw at the bottom of the float bowl? Should I back it all the way out and clean? I can't seem to find any information on that on screw.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200TX wrote:
Hey, Dennis? I'm not sure if that's your name,
Bike is his name but being a quadriplegic Bike uses his owner Dennis to post for him.:ROFL::ROFL:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,326 Posts
imported post

After 25 years and a quarter-million miles together, we have sort of merged into one being. But here's the basic rule.

If the answer/advice given is intelligent andhelpful.That's Bike. If the advice was abjectly incorrect and useless. It's Dennis.

That screw is just a drain plug. No need to mess with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.