Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi..guys having trouble with throttle not returning on twistgrip going to lube cables from twistgrip how do i do it and should i use oil or wd40..help please...many thanks..jim :waving::waving: bike is 1986 1200 interstate.... if this fails i will have to replace cables................

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

Hi

I use a heavy oil for my cables not wd40 which just runs through, you can make a gravity cable oiler out of a large syringe or best of all buy a cable oiler. You will find it useful and they only cost about £10.00 sterling.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

wd40 stands for water dispursement formula # 40. You might have water in there but I would use a heavier oil. You may have some trash build up too.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

For flushing WD-40 is fine. If you spray it down and a bunch of rust and crap starts coming out then continue. But for longer lube and life, like the others I prefer a heavier oil. Have a friend that uses Gear Oil on his. Sets them up with a small bag and lets them hang for days unti it drips out the bottom. He has the only clutch cable I know of with 300,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
imported post

Back nearly 35 years ago I worked at a bicycle shop; all we ever used on cables was powdered graphite.

While oil makes a decent lube, dust and dirt will be attracted to it.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
imported post

Make sure you have some slack in your cable. On my 1100 there's an adjustment nut under the throttle grip.Mine was doin the same thing.Played around with that adj. nut and it snap's back good now!!!

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

If lubing doesn't help, there'sadjustment nuts on the throttle handgrip that's already been mentioned.

There's also an adjuster nut for each cable just to the left of the airbox. At least one of them has a cover over it, so you'll be peeling it a little to grab the adjuster nut.

And of course you have the adjustment nuts at the carbs.

I'd lube it and then I'd try those before changing out the cables in this order:

1.) carb
2.) throttle
3.) middleadjustors(the ones by the airbox)

Since you'll end up having to adjust all those on a new cable anyway,you might as well try them now and see if it'll solve your problem before buying a new cable.

You'llneeda 10mm crowfoot(for the rear carbadjusters) forin situ adjustment. Let us know how it works out.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

sandman jim wrote:
hi..guys having trouble with throttle not returning on twistgrip going to lube cables from twistgrip how do i do it and should i use oil or wd40..help please...many thanks..jim :waving::waving: bike is 1986 1200 interstate.... if this fails i will have to replace cables................
cheers guys has now been sorted the throttle grip had been pushed on to far and was tight on the cover which holds cables cut some of foam of end and now perfect..regards..jim.:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

WD40 won't lubricate a cable for very long. Its great for cleaning the dirt out but make sure to follow up with heavier oil.

Graphite in powder form is the ultimate, but you will have problems getting it into a cable.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

dorod wrote:
Graphite in powder form is the ultimate, but you will have problems getting it into a cable.
Use the blue Lock-Ease lock lubricant. It is powdered graphite in a fluid suspension that evaporates.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.