Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello fellow 'wingers,

I think I need to lube up my throttle cables or something.

Quite frequently after driving long distances when I come to a stop my RPMs stay about 3k with the throttle released and I have to reach down and pull the linkage where the cable connects to the carb to get it back to an idle.

My question is, What should I use to lube it up or would it be something other then the cable?

Thx in advance,

Tauv

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I just used regular motor oil. Put it on the cables at the top and let it work itself down.

You might find you already have a broken cable.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Ok, I shall try that! I just did not know if that was a good idea because it might collect dust (dust in AZ..Naww) and get even more stuck.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

Or has the cable come loose from the clamp at the Carb?

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

morriscatt wrote:
Or has the cable come loose from the clamp at the Carb?
Does not appear to have. I shall take a closer look to be sure tho.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
imported post

Use a "dry lube" and it won't attract dust. Goes on wet but dries in a few minutes.

BTW, most dual sport guys use this stuff on their chains because it simply works. My chain looks the same (clean) after 100 miles of dirt riding.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

You could use a cable luber which allows you to inject lubrication from an aerosol into one end of the cable.

Terry

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Wait a second - are you saying that you CAN NOT get the throttle to close all the way using the twist grip? You HAVE to reach down and work the throttle linkage by hand?

If so, you have a more serious problem - your push cable is likely broken. There are two throttle cables - a pull, and a push. The pull opens the throttle when you twist the grip towards you. Normally, when you close the throttle, the spring on the throttle bellcrank will pull the throttle closed, and return the twist grip to its closed position. However, if there is a problem (i.e. insufficient cable lubrication, broken or weak bellcrank spring, etc.) then you have the "push" cable as a backup - it works the opposite of the pull cable, and will "pull" the throttle closed if you twist the grip closed. It is there as a safety device, and if you can not close the throttle all the way on your bike simply by twisting it closed, then this rather crucial safety device is not operating. If you were to have a bell crank spring break, or linkage seize, you would be stuck with a runaway throttle, and no way to close it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.