Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1993 Aspencade.....Hi guys, got a bit unlucky today about 30 miles from home...one of the throttle cables broke at the handlebar. Got home real slow at about 3000 rpm max by winding the idle screw in!! ...made it tho !!..but, my question: due mainly to the cost (part and shipping to New Zealand that is)..is it advisable to replace both?..or just the busted one (Cable "A" 17910-MT8-004) . The other cable I am assuming is ok (17920-MT8-004) and perhaps they almost never break?. so I would appreciate advice please, am happy to replace both if you think necessary, but if it isn't necessary, then I won't.
Many thanks in advance,
Peter.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
Throttle pull cable is the one which will leave you stranded, push cable is mainly for one of the many cruise off actuation points and sees little wear. Guarantee pull cable will be broken up at grip drum.

One vote for just the pull cable replacement.

Have had a spare pull cable in my saddlebag for the last two years. Am starting some other work shortly which will require plastic removal and will finally install it.

Only thing worse than doing it on the side of the road is not having it on hand in the first place.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys, er...one each way so far then, DriverRider's answer is the one I want, but Ken's logic is sound....any more votes?... :?

Many thanks,
Peter.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
Including the cruise actuator there are four cables. Get the shotgun out guys and pepper everything down range.:grin:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I'd replace both cables as a minimum. New throttle cables make a bike feel ten years younger to ride. It will save money and work to replace both at once. Save money in that the shipping won't be significantly higher for two cables, and time in that you'll only have to do the job once.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Just courious, Is this a common thing? Should I buy some extra cables just in case?
137000 miles. Whats the vote?

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
exavid, to quote you: "new throttle cables make the bike feel ten years younger to ride"...because they are new and smoother?...sounds great, or is there something obvious I have missed here?
Cheers,
Peter.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
exavid, to quote you: "new throttle cables make the bike feel ten years younger to ride"...because they are new and smoother?...sounds great, or is there something obvious I have missed here?
Cheers,
Peter.
Yes both.
Yes because they are new and smoother.
Yes because if the cables (all cables on any bike) if they are not lubed each year, preventative maintenance, will rust inside and bind, as the outer jacket is made of steel, not stainless steel as the cable itself is(all m/c cables are made this way, industry wide standard) even though they say they are stainless steel cables, the cable is just the inner part that does the work. Rust is cancer which grows, and in time binds the inner cable and that is why they are no longer smooth in operation, and that binding causes them to break at most inopportune times, sometimes many miles from home. Back in the 70s you could buy inner cables in bulk rolls and ends that you could put on, and the parts to make the outer jacket to make your own custom length but was costly to buy in bulk so not much call for them to be sold on the retail side even then and with the advent of cheap parts in Japan (back when Japan was to most of our parents, was like China is to us today) and it was simpler and cheaper just to carry the premade cables than make your own or find someone that made them custom.
So, change them both at the same time, for shipping savings as you are far from supply and labor wise, as getting in there to change them is a PIA on these bikes and because they will be smoother operating and feel fresh and lively again. And before putting the new cables on, lube them, they do not come pre lubed, nor are they maintenance free with a lifetime with Roadside Assistance Provided.

Moral of this is, most of all, do your PM, that is, lube all the cables yearly, if you don't want another broken cable and maybe have to go for a 'walk about' mate. :?:waving:

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, talked me into getting both cables and for good reason by the sounds.....as a Kiwi I would have "issues" with the thought about going on an Aboriginal Australian "walkabout" if I didn't..!! :ROFL:
Many thanks,
Peter.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Newday, do you use a specific cable lube?
Go to your local Can am dealer, XPS Anti Corrosive spray. They use it in the water craft cables and good for salt water applications.
:waving:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.