Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I did some more of my winter maintenance today - I installed my new CB tuner, hooked up my SWR meter and tuned the antenna. I then replaced the clutch and choke cables. The choke cable was binding and needed to be replaced. I have been wanting to replace the clutch cable for a while, as I didn't know how old it is, and really could do without it breaking on me long from home. I figured if I'm doing those, I might as well do the throttle cables as well, so I ordered all four.

So I did the clutch and choke cables without much problem. Then I had a look at the throttle cables. I can see easily enough where they route to, but unlike the clutch, there's no obvious way that they fasten at either end. I can tell it's going to be a PITA to get the carb end of the throttle cables off, and as for the handlebar end - I don't even see how they fasten.

I had a look through the Honda, Haynes and Clymer service manuals, and unless I'm missing it in all three, I didn't find any mention of replacing throttle cables other than to "replace them if kinked or worn."

So...is there something simple I'm missing? Is there a simple procedure, or should I just do my usual routine of taking stuff apart and figuring it out as I go along?

I've been thinking for a while about braided braine lines. Now that I have the bike ripped apart, it's obvious that it would be advantageous to replace brake lines with braided lines NOW, rather than waiting to do it later, and having to tear it all apart again. I know my GSXR had braided lines, and the brakes were ROCK SOLID, and felt like you threw an anchor out when you grabbed some brake - but they had to be on that bike. Is there enough of a difference on the Goldwing to make it worthwhile, or should I spend the couple hundred dollars elsewhere?

Oh...and my wife hasn't noticed the pile of motorcycle parts growing in our dining room...either that, or she has decided not to say anything. Yet. :)

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

you have to pull the carbs to the left to gain enough access to the nuts. thats the right way to do as mentioned on the 1200. and on the 1100 carb remooval procedure, the part about removing the throttle cables is after you pull them to the left.

some people can get them done in place. but its really really hard. may take you hours... unbolting the intake pipes and air cleaner box wont take you more than 10 mins...

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
imported post

Hey! Looks like fun! The throttle cable has ball ends on each end. You have to pull the throttle side control and grip off. The cable wraps around a plastic tube inside the grip and switch housing. Pretty easy on that side. The carb side is a little tougher. I pulled the airbox off for better access, and worked the ends out by sliding each cable off the bell crank and pulling it around and out of the slot on the crank. I took off the grip side first, put on last.

On the braided lines, everyone who has put them on say they are great! I'n plannig to put them on my '81. There are several sources that are less than the $200 set at Venco, although the people at Venco are great, and the quality of their products are A-1.

My 2 cents!

Todd

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

thanks i am in the process of replacing my cables on a 1982 interstate and looking for some direction
thanks for saving me some hours
George

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

wrote:
thanks i am in the process of replacing my cables on a 1982 interstate and looking for some direction
thanks for saving me some hours
George
:15red:geolite45 Welcome to this Great Site!:12black:
Pull up a chair and join on in!
:stumped:Got a Technical question on your wing:stumped:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/
:baffled:Got a General Motorcycle Question:baffled:
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum4/
:bowing:Most of all we're glad you joined and:bowing:

:action:look forward seeing you on the forums and on the road :action:

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

You can get to the carb end with the air box out a little tight but doable..note I have re-routed my throttle cables outside the frame on the left side so I can just pull my carbs out on the left to get at the cable ends and it makes for broader turns on the cable;l so less binding..

Next, on the throttle end just open up the switch box slide the whole thing off and turn the grip to allow the cable end to slide out of the slots, loosen the nuts and it's out.

PS note the cable routing before you pull the cable all the way out..and you can tie/tape the new cable on to the old one and pull them into place as you pull the old ones out..helps to have one hand in the air box area to help them along.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

GS Thank you again for a great write up.....I have one question on the, I believe its the fourth picture where that elbow screws into that throttle grip housing, was that fitting cross threaded or am I just not seeing it right????....

Claude.....

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

That is a nice article; couple of comments.....

Tying the new cables to the old cables to route them through the bike is a good idea. Even good to route a new tachometer cable, I did that too.

I connected the cables to the handlebar first; maybe your idea is better, just haven't had the opportunity to try that yet.

I guess that you did not remove the carbs for cleaning? Some you may have to do this along with new cables.

I unscrewed the carb tops from above, to give more wiggle room to remove carbs. You need to follow GS's thread on cable to free the carb and later reattach.

On the Interstate/Aspencade fairng type Goldwings, the lower metal part of the fairing impedes carb removal. I took off the left side. Also have to lift the fairing to get to those bolts. Maybe others did not do this operation, but it helped me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.