Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all, do the Goldwings require throttle cables to be lubricated? Does anyone know if Valkyries need this procedure also. My Honda service manual for Valkyrie tells what procedure is needed to lube cables, but I thought these cables never neede lubing.

Can someone clarify this for me? :?

thanks

fast black

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Someone else from Centerton. Welcome aboard neighbor.

I lubed the cables on my 1100 just because I couldn't tell how long ago anything had been done as preventative maintenance.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

I just pulled the throttle cables off my project '82 Interstate.

The push cable was seized solid. I attached a tube onto the cable and filled it with kerosene (with citronella - nice touch). eventually managed to get it to move after sitting there for a week.

Replaced the kerosene with motor oil. I expected it to drain through the cable over time - no dice! I applied air pressure at 100PSI to help it along, still no oil going through the cable. The cable seems to work OK now, but I was surprised that I couldn't blow oil through it.

Anybody got similar experience??

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

There is a gent that goes by backyardbob that has well over 300k on his 78 with the original cables. Bob is a machinest and lives north of the Border. Every winter part of his maintenance is to remove his cables and he bags off one end and fills it with Gear oil. Then they hang until it comes out the other end. I do not know about the newer cables and their internal construction but the older ones need lubed once in a while.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Here is the device you need to lube cables. Can be done by taking only one end loose and on the bike. Designed for use with one of the cable lube products in an spray can.

The cans push the light lube through the cable.

Heavy oil or lube can actually work against you, especially in cold weather, or if the bike sits over the winter, it can actually gum up and set up like glue.

Motion Pro - CABLE LUBER

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Hey all, thanks much for input. K1W1T1M, so you live in Centerton ? I'll stop over and shake your hand if that's ok with you. Small world eh? I was on a tv show called pass time, its on Speed Channel. Anyhow I won the money and a few months later another guy from Centerton was on the show. I'm still trying to contact him. You wouldn't think it could be that hard, I mean come on, how big is Centerton?
Jim Eldridge
give me shout. I like to talk about bikes a lot.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

fast black wrote:
Hey all, thanks much for input. K1W1T1M, so you live in Centerton ? I'll stop over and shake your hand if that's ok with you. Small world eh? I was on a tv show called pass time, its on Speed Channel. Anyhow I won the money and a few months later another guy from Centerton was on the show. I'm still trying to contact him. You wouldn't think it could be that hard, I mean come on, how big is Centerton?
Jim Eldridge
give me shout. I like to talk about bikes a lot.
fast black, you really want to remove your phone number from this posting as it will be caught by a lot of spammers and you'll start getting a bunch of wasteful phone calls. PM it to the folks you want to have it as PM's are private and the bots can't see them.

Welcome to the family by the way!!

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Welcome Fast Black to a great forum from the cold cold North Country. :waving: :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.