Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Here is a picture of the throttle-side handlebar on a 1200 Aspywithout the grip. The hole in the end of it is (apparently) meant to have a nut or threads of some kind behind it. It's not there.

and here is a fuzzy picture (sorry) of the grip.

Over the end ot this grip thereshould bean end cap, now lost, that has a threaded rod that should go through both the hole in the grip and the one in the end of the handlebar and screw into the missing nut to tighten the whole mechanism.

Without the end cap and missing nut, do you think this can be repaired? Would it make sense to just glue the grip onto the bar? Even with a new grip, how would you get a nut into the handlebar?Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
imported post

This is a good post,I hadnever noticed that plug in the bar before. Many of the newer street bikes have THREADED plugs in the bars to allow for the addition of Bar End Weights. All of todays crotch rockets have them.

If they are indeed a form of weight, it may be a new angle to pursue for a cure to the dreaded Low speed hands-off wobble/tank-slapper. Thanks for the info and pics... :gunhead:

Sorry, never answered the question. As long as the throttle assbly will stay on the bars I wouldn't worry about the hole. I've never used any glue before, just a little shot of womens hair-spray to help slide the new grip into place. In my youth I was too macho to get in Mom's beauty supplies so it was a dab of gasoline on the inside of the grip instead of the hair-spray...

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

I believe many bar end plugs are expansion plug type...

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

wingsam41 wrote:
I believe many bar end plugs are expansion plug type...
Oh, so you can buy bar end plugs separately? The expansion type would sure solve my problem. Thanks, Wingsam. I'll do some shopping.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

Yes you can buy them separate-here's an example...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Moto...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27bac2cfd6

...lot's of sport bike and sport touring guys use em. Didn't know exactly what you were trying to do. My heated grips and many other grips have an end cap on them but it isn't weighted. Not sure but it's possible what you have in your bar end is part of an old compression type plug. They of course also make threaded end caps maybe you can tap threads into that and use it. Sometimes the compression ones can be a p.i.t.a.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

Both of my 1100s have the same thing ive never worried about them

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

wingsam41 wrote:
Didn't know exactly what you were trying to do.
Not sure but it's possible what you have in your bar end is part of an old compression type plug.
Many thanks for your comments and the link.

I was just re-attaching the kill switch module and the grip slid down the bar. Ijammed it on tight enough to go riding, but it's really not too safe that way,IMO.

The end caps are definitely the screw-on version. I took the other one off to check. I'll research the internet thru Google later today. Ideally, I'd like to find a screw-on version and put a very small spring-loaded expansion nut on the end. They may not make them that small.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.