Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi.. 1986 1200 interstate is there suppose to be a return spring on throttle twist grip..on mine there is not one i just twist it back.. is this the norm on goldwings..its been like this since i bought it 1 year ago.. but it works fine...regards jim...:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
imported post

Yes they do. It's mounted on the carbs, where the cables attach. So you you're saying you work your both ways, to speed and decelerate?

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

You might have binding cables as well - the cables might be so bound up that the spring doesn't have enough strength to pull the throttle closed. They're not too tough to replace, and relatively cheap as well. I replaced mine a few weeks ago and documented the process[/url] as I went, in case anyone else wanted to give it a try.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

GSMacLean wrote:
You might have binding cables as well - the cables might be so bound up that the spring doesn't have enough strength to pull the throttle closed. They're not too tough to replace, and relatively cheap as well. I replaced mine a few weeks ago and documented the process[/url] as I went, in case anyone else wanted to give it a try.
hi..my throttle twist grip works ok. but when you rev bike up ond let go of grip it does not spring back to idle ..to have to twist it back yourself..also how do you ajust your idle mine is idling ok but a little slow.. i dont fancy replacing all the cables ..i think the spring on carbs must be a bit weak....regards..jim :waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

When the cables are working correctly, there is virtually no resistance to them at all - I just replaced mine (as shown in those pictures) and I was stunned at the difference. I thought my old cables felt OK, but the new ones are slippery and smooth, and the throttle SNAPS shut when I let go - that wasn't the case with my old cables.

It's possible the spring is weak...but I would put my money on the cables. Easier to change cables than a spring, too!

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

gidday,

yep the twist grip should spring back to idle, when released.

try using WD 40 or a product like it, and spray all the carb connections that move when your move the twist grip. I found this helped quite a bit.

also you can have the cables oiled at a dealer, or you can do it yourself, this gadget is quite handy if you wish to do it yourself.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/cable_luber/

good luck,

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

You probably need to lube your cables. It's actually a regular maintenance item, just like oil changes.

You don't happen to have a throttle lock do you?

Try lubing the grip itself, could be some dirt binding up in there.

Or your return spring could be broken/dislocated.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

on the 1200, when you take the top compartment (false tank) off and then you put it on. on the left side of the bike by the carbs you have to push the two throttle cables inside the top compartment body, check that out, if you can see your throttle cables outsite by the corner right under the fairing, then there you have your problem.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I had the same experience as GSMacLean, I replaced the throttle cables on an 1100 I had. It wasn't dragging but I could see a couple broken strands at the barrel. I was very surprised how much smoother the throttle worked when I put the new cables on. It sure made the bike a lot more pleasant to ride.

It's important that the throttle will snap shut when released, it's really a safety concern. If you ever came off the bike the engine would run away, even worse if the bike stayed up in an accident it would take off like a missile. That should be corrected before riding it again.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

sandman jim wrote:
hi.. 1986 1200 interstate is there suppose to be a return spring on throttle twist grip..on mine there is not one i just twist it back.. is this the norm on goldwings..its been like this since i bought it 1 year ago.. but it works fine...regards jim...:waving::waving:
hi. guys how do i lube the throttlecables from twistgrip.. how does twistgrip come of..sorry guys but am not mechanicly minded but will have a go. if i know how..and i dont have a manual..i dont want to balls things up as she runs sweet as a nut..i need your help on this one...1986 1200 interstate..regards..jim...:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I would simply replace the cables. When they get old and do not function well, they become a serious safety consideration. So having said I would just replace them.....Some of the nicer replacement cables now have a teflon liner and never require lubrication.

You need one of these Motion Pro Cable Luber - Motorcycle Superstore and an can of the spray lube, this device fits around the cable and the can and forces the lube down into the cable, still you do this at the top so the lube will work all the way down.

You do have to take the grip apart and release the cable or cables and install this device and lube the cables and reinstall them. Might work, might not, one thing for sure is to use a very, very light lubricant made for this, regular oil or something will just make the cable stiff and for sure will not work then. Especially in cold weather.

Kit

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Just to backup what the others have said. This is a serious safety issue. I would address this before riding again. That grip should have a clear and defined snap back to the idle stop.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

sandman jim wrote:
sandman jim wrote:
hi. guys how do i lube the throttlecables from twistgrip.. how does twistgrip come of..sorry guys but am not mechanicly minded but will have a go. if i know how..and i dont have a manual..i dont want to balls things up as she runs sweet as a nut..i need your help on this one...1986 1200 interstate..regards..jim...:waving::waving:
You can see the tutorial I wrote up here, along with pictures that show how its done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.