Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I bought an '84 GL1200. The throttle won't return by itself. It will stay where it is if I remove my hand. I had looked at an '87 before I bought this one that did the same thing. Is this nomal for the GL1200?

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

No it is not normal, are the grips stock, or have they been changed out to aftermarket? When I put new grips on my 1100, I had to pull the throttle grip back just a touch, it was doing the same thing. If its not in the grip being pushed up next to the kill switch housing to tight, youmay need to lube the throttle cables.......or someone may hit you with someother ideas!!

Good luck!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Definitely not normal and not safe to ride that way, the throttle should snap closed when released. If you loosen the screw under the kill switch just a bit to allow the switch assembly to shift a bit you can see if there is any binding against it. If the throttle is still stiff after checking the binding nightwizard40 mentioned it's either a bad calble or the cables are misrouted between the throttle and carburetor.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
imported post

Flip up the the little lever be side the throttle grip,throttle lock?

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

If you have a little flip up lever on the throttle, that is a throttle lock, a poor man's cruise control. Think you answered your own question.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

Like everybody's already said, it's not normal.

If there's no flip lever on your grip for you to release(the poorman's locking cruisecontrol), then try to adjust the tension at the throttle cables by the grips or carbs, or you could try adjusting the tension by the adjustor that's hidden on the leftside of the airbox (it'll be one of the cables by the spark plug wires) and you'll need to peel back the insulator on the throttle cable to see the nut.

I wouldstart at the throttle cable nuts on the bottom of your handlebar but don't just loosen and tighten haphazardly, think clearly about which one you're tightening/loosening. If that doesn't do it, then move on to trying the adjustor nut next to the airbox cover's leftside, and then if that doesn't correct the tension, try to reach behind the carbs and adjust the tension on the only throttle cable that has the adjustor nut (can't remember if the one with the adjustor nut at the carb is the pull or push one right now, and you'd need a 10mm crowsfoot plus a 10mm wrench to do it).

Good luck and congrats on your purchase.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

i just had that on a 81 1100. i took the throttle tube off. there was a bunch of gunk on the handlebars and cleaned it up lubed the cables and put it back together. same thing. I checked the carbs with the cables off and the linkage seemed fine on the carbs. Finally i loosened the cable adjuster on the cable under the false tank and shortened the cable. Whatever i did there seemed to do the trick. It snaps back fine now. JB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.