Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1975 GL1000. I just put the engine back on the bike, got everything hooked back up. My problem is, the throttle seems to sticking when I hook the cables up to the carbs. The carbs have been gone through twice by GL Pete. I know the problem isn't there. My question is, is it likely that the throttle cables are bad? The bike sat outside in the weather for a year while I waited on funds to purchase the parts I needed to put the engine back together. When I disconnect the carbs the cables seem to move freely. The throttle linkage all moves freely too. So, I don't know what's going on...other than this seems typical for my luck! Any ideas on where I can get new throttle cables? Or does this sound like something else is wrong?

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

Take the right switch housing apart and either dribble some oil or spray lube (not WD40) into the cables. If that doesn't cure it JC Whitney sells the cables pretty cheap.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

If the cables move freely when they are disconnected then I don't think that the cable is your problem. I would look for something that is causing them to bind when it is hooked up.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

I route my cables outside the frame..allows for bigger curve less binding. Any chance the throttle grip is binding on the handle bar? not likely but possible.

Spring on the throttle linkage installed correctly?

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

Davogd430 wrote:
Take the right switch housing apart and either dribble some oil or spray lube (not WD40) into the cables. If that doesn't cure it JC Whitney sells the cables pretty cheap.
It worked for me. Sure is cheap enuf.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Well...I tried doing the whole taking the housing apart trick....and that didn't help at all. I am going to order some new throttle cables...I noticed that the one cable was frayed inside the housing. I still don't know why they are binding when they are routed pretty much the same way as they were before I took the engine off the bike. So, any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

then you're not connecting the cables properly. couple of days ago i was installing my friends 1200 carbs and two times the upper cable was not getting into its rail and it would stick rly bad. look from the right side of the bike and see if the cables are on the rail. not over it.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

domscorpiorlg wrote:
Well...I tried doing the whole taking the housing apart trick....and that didn't help at all. I am going to order some new throttle cables...I noticed that the one cable was frayed inside the housing. I still don't know why they are binding when they are routed pretty much the same way as they were before I took the engine off the bike. So, any ideas?
After rebuilding the carbs on my '80 GL1100i, I noticed the throttle cables were binding as well.The previous owner attempted a carb rebuild before I bought the bike (leaving numerous parts out of the carbs), so I knewhe wasn'ttoo sure about what he was doing.

Now, thinking the cables needed a little oilin', I started toloosen thenuts holding the cables at the throttle. While I was loosening them, the mounts twisted toward the front of the bike. They were aligned perpendicular to the handlebars. Anyway, after I loosened them, and they twisted toward the front of the bike on their own, I tightened them right where they were, and wouldn't you know, the throttle started working like a new bike.

I think the previous owner didn't know where to align the cables, sohe just lined them up with the handlebars because it looked better that way.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

My throttle cables were only disconnected from the carbs....still routed the same as far as I know....yet they start binding now. I took the switch apart and noticed some fraying in the one on top...going to swap the throttle cables with the ones off my parts bike, see if that helps for now....

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

After going to the expense to have the carbs rebuilt why not just replace the throttle cables. I got a set of replacement cables for an 1100 I had from eBay, throttle, choke, and clutch and was surprised how much better the bike was to ride. Lots less clutch effort, silky smooth throttle and a much easier pulling choke. The cables I took off weren't all that bad just old and worn internally.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

That's what I plan on doing eventually. I am going to use the other cables off my parts bike temporarily since these are frayed. I just put a new NOS Honda clutch cable on the bike, along with all new clutch parts...everything except the basket itself. The clutch plates, discs, and springs are all new. So, eventually I am going to have an almost new bike!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.