Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1981 GL1100. I've looked at all the related posts I can find and am just not seeing anything I haven't checked. I have a noise on the left side that can only be heard during acceleration and deceleration. Does not pop or backfire. I've had the bike 3 years, and this started about 2 months ago. Sound is very much like a small exhaust leak (not) or even more like a spark plug arc (not). I've changed plugs. Checked and double checked valve adustment and timing, replaced exhaust gaskets, inspected pipe for leaks, compresson about 160 in both cylinders. Cannot find anything to explain the noise. It can rarely be heard unless on the bike riding, and it is ALWAYS there on acceleration or deceleration. My best efforts to mimic it on the stand indicates that I may be hearing the noise from the exhaust tip of the pipe, not the actual engine or head area. Any ideas welcome.

·
Administrator
26,561 Posts
imported post

Plug the exhaust and listen for a hissing noise,there might be a small hole that you can't see under a shield.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Yep, I have one to on the right side (1/3)..kind of like a ticking..almost lie a valve tick but not quite..mine is an exhaust pin hole..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.