Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
I recently brought my '86 gl1200 to a honda dealer to have them put new tires on and do a little carb work.

Since getting the bike back, a ticking sound is present. The only time it happens is when I am going 60 mph (~3000 rpm) or so and begin slowing down for any reason. As I let off the throttle, just before the throttle gets to idle, a ticking sound happens. If I close the throttle quickly, it'll tick for a fraction of a second, but if I try to keep the throttle in that position, again while slowing down from 60 mph (~3000 rpm), just above idle, the ticking will last about a second. It does also occur very briefly when I close the throttle to shift gears.

I can feel the vibration from the ticking through the footpegs clearly and it seems like the sound is coming from the back side of the motor or maybe even the rear end.

I took the side panel off and it seems like the driveshaft is seated well. The clutch currently seems to be functioning properly. It accelerates fine and goes down the road fine...

I have another issue with some substantial loss of fuel mileage (15-20%) after doing some major work over the winter (stator change) that I'll post in a different post. I don't know if there's any connection with this issue.

As I said, this issue started when I got the bike back from the dealer after having them put on new tires...

Any ideas what could be causing it?

·
Toolcraft4100
378 Posts
The rear wheel would have been removed and replaced and at least one muffler would have been removed (I think) to install a new rear tire. So I would put the bike on the centerstand and rotate the rear wheel and see if you can hear, see or feel anything. If nothing is detected, remove and reinstall the rear wheel and see if that clears it up. Also confirm that the muffler was reinstalled correctly, it could be an exhaust leak.

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Maybe that's where that 10mm went?

Or maybe you're just hearing the fuel pump in an otherwise quiet setting?

However, a vibration in foot pegs leads me to think maybe it's just time for a front U-joint? In which case, you can pull the rear wheel & final drive while inspecting the U-joint. If you pull it, have a manual handy with order and torque values for reassembly.

·
Premium Member
5,962 Posts
Hello all!
I recently brought my '86 gl1200 to a honda dealer to have them put new tires on and do a little carb work.

Since getting the bike back, a ticking sound is present. The only time it happens is when I am going 60 mph (~3000 rpm) or so and begin slowing down for any reason. As I let off the throttle, just before the throttle gets to idle, a ticking sound happens. If I close the throttle quickly, it'll tick for a fraction of a second, but if I try to keep the throttle in that position, again while slowing down from 60 mph (~3000 rpm), just above idle, the ticking will last about a second. It does also occur very briefly when I close the throttle to shift gears.

I can feel the vibration from the ticking through the footpegs clearly and it seems like the sound is coming from the back side of the motor or maybe even the rear end.

I took the side panel off and it seems like the driveshaft is seated well. The clutch currently seems to be functioning properly. It accelerates fine and goes down the road fine...

I have another issue with some substantial loss of fuel mileage (15-20%) after doing some major work over the winter (stator change) that I'll post in a different post. I don't know if there's any connection with this issue.

As I said, this issue started when I got the bike back from the dealer after having them put on new tires...

Any ideas what could be causing it?
I wonder about the speed of the clicking. If it seems to be one to one with the rotation of the wheel I would look at the drive coupling to be sure it got Moly lube put on the splines. That will make a click that you can sort of tell it is in time with the speed of the tire.
If it is way faster than the speed of the tire it might be diveshaft related.
Do a good visual as Dennis and Toolcraft mentioned first.
Any dealer should certainly lube that spline but if you got a lazy mechanic.... you never know. :)
Dragging the brake while holding the throttle steady have any affect?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder about the speed of the clicking. If it seems to be one to one with the rotation of the wheel I would look at the drive coupling to be sure it got Moly lube put on the splines. That will make a click that you can sort of tell it is in time with the speed of the tire.
If it is way faster than the speed of the tire it might be diveshaft related.
Do a good visual as Dennis and Toolcraft mentioned first.
Any dealer should certainly lube that spline but if you got a lazy mechanic.... you never know. :)
Dragging the brake while holding the throttle steady have any affect?
It is quick ticking... Tough to tell if it is 1 to 1 with the rotation of the wheel. My ears aren't tuned that well! :smile2: Would what you describe result in a constant ticking or only in what I am describing? It only ticks when I am letting off the throttle for a split second right before the throttle goes to idle. It doesn't do it when I am opening the throttle. Only when I'm closing it and only for a split second right before the throttle gets to idle...
I can try dragging the brake and holding the throttle later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I take it you did not have it B4 you took it in for the new tire? If you did not have B4 I would take it back to them and have them listen to it and fix it they might know what it is right away since they worked on it last. Just a thought
Correct. It started after the dealer worked on it. I may end up doing that but it is such a hassle bringing it there. They are about 40 minutes away and to be honest, I haven't been that satisfied with my interactions with them...

I moved to southern Wisconsin a couple years ago and am still searching for a good shop to bring the cycle to. I try to do as much work on it myself as possible but I am not a mechanic. Since there was a Honda dealer, I figured that was the safest bet but then you also pay dealership prices $$.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
True. I just thought take it back to them . You sat it does it right B4 it goes to idle when you let off the throttle correct? I know on my wing and mine is a 85 GL 1200 that when I let off the throttle it will snap hard back into place and I will hear a click and it's the linkage being pulled back hard and fast I don't know if that's what you're hearing. And I'm not a motorcycle mechanic either LOL I am a maintenance engineer and very mechanically inclined but not with that much on the gold wings these are a great group of guys and they'll help you figure it out if they can they've helped me a lot but I was wondering if possibly it wasn't the throttle you're just tearing on the carburetor hard to explain hitting the stop hard. How to reread your text but did you say you're feeling it too in the foot Peg and if so how severe are you feeling it

·
Administrator
22,063 Posts
I once had a clicking that turned out to be a rock stuck in the tread of the tire. :grin3:

New tires have deep treads that can capture rocks pretty well.

A wheel bearing can make a ticking noise. Is there any side-to-side play in the wheel?

·
Premium Member
5,962 Posts
Correct. It started after the dealer worked on it. I may end up doing that but it is such a hassle bringing it there. They are about 40 minutes away and to be honest, I haven't been that satisfied with my interactions with them...

I moved to southern Wisconsin a couple years ago and am still searching for a good shop to bring the cycle to. I try to do as much work on it myself as possible but I am not a mechanic. Since there was a Honda dealer, I figured that was the safest bet but then you also pay dealership prices $$.
When I had my issue it was very similar. Probably 10 years ago or more. I can remember I had a hard time getting ot to act up on any regular basis. I did finally find a point where it would do it fairly regularilly. If I drove at about 15 MPH very steady on the throttle I could make it act up. My theory is it only clicks at the point where the speed of the bike exactly matches the speed of the final drive. There is no force keeping the two parts under load. Like so many things it can only rattle or click in this case when it is loose.
I think it might be worth a phone call to the dealer who worked on the bike and ask if the applied Moly lube to the splines on the drive flange? It is automatic for anyone who knows anything about Goldwings.
As you cruise down the road all the lash in the drivetrain is "taken up" by the engine pushing the bike forward. When you roll out of the throttle there will be a couple of seconds where lash will be present in the drive train as the bike goes from being pushed to coast (briefly) then to decelerate. When it is accelerating or decelerating it can not click as the spline is being bound up. When you are decelerating like coming off the highway it would have two opportunities. One when you roll out of the throttle then the second would be when the bike and engine RPM match. That would be near idle as you describe.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/309713-gl1200-famous-rear-wheel-clicking-sound.html

Another thought to check in the same area:
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/386524-strange-noise-gl1200-final-drive.html

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Is your throttle getting stuck when you let of and then all the suden it frees up and slams down I know my bike did that. But I was not hea ring any thing. Just a thought .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts