imported post

Would you happen to know if the ticking sound i hear coming from the engine

is normal. It almost sounds like loose plug wires on a car when the silicone

is shot and the spark jumps to ground. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

And what perchance is the motor you are speaking of?

Actually, it would help to know what you are talking about. Be it a 1000, 1100, 1200, 1500, or the 1800.A few more details might help the Gurus delve into the problem.

If you have an 831100 Interstate like myself, a little ticking is acceptable.Itsjustthevalve assembly doing it's job.

If it's really rattling, then a valve adjustment might be in order.

Hobie

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The odd ticking or rattling sound from these engines, especially the 4 cylinder, isn't unusual. Primary chain rattle, and valve train noise is pretty common. Bangs and knocks aren't. Hobie has it right. If the noise seems to go away when you get into gear it's probably the primary chain, if it stays it's probably from the valves. If you are describing a sharp snapping sound, that isn't a normal sound. Kinda hard to be very specific from the description.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

How many miles on this puppy?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

cmeador wrote:
Would you happen to know if the ticking sound i hear coming from the engine

is normal. It almost sounds like loose plug wires on a car when the silicone

is shot and the spark jumps to ground. Thanks
cmeador, that would depend on where the ticking noise is coming from.. If from the R/H cylinder head area then a lot of early Wings do that. If from other places then it would depend on where it is coming from & how loud, & how often.

In order for us to give you good feed-back here we really need for you to explain where the noise is coming from, whether hot or cold, the engine RPM it happens at, & any other particulars. It's very hard to diagnose an engine noise over the Internet without a very precise explanation on your part.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

Hi cmeadorand welcome to the forum. Valve ticking is almost always audible on the GL1100, even when the valves are properly adjusted. If the sound is more electrical, then you might have a bad plug cap or lead. Spraying WD40 onto the cap or leads will usually make the noise go away for a few minutes and that's the way to test.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

I just adjusted my valves, again. Did them nice and snug, and locked 'em down, all to spec. There was audible ticking on the left side, which has quieted down. Now the right is audible. I get the impression this is quite normal, especially on the 1-3 cylinder side for early wings? I may also be a little low in oil,  which could affect right?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It's when you don't hear anything with solid lifters you have to worry! A light ticking won't hurt anything.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

Thanks, Paul. Man, this bike runs awesome now! It's just ticking/idling nicely, lots of power. It's still sputtering a little, and i think that's because i'm only partly into a 2nd tank after cleaning it out. Could still be moisture? I'm adding gasline treatment each time.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Who knows, ride it a bit and see if it goes away.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Find a pitch black place and start it up to see if your plug wires are arcing?

And check for a exhaust leak by the engine?

Just to eliminate those two things!

You can go nuts chasing noises on old bike, I learned to ignore them !:baffled:

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

readjusted valves on right side, added some oil, she purrs. 

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

I'd rather hear a little ticking than nothing. At least you know that the valves are closing! Just me , though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.