Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I took my 81 GL1100 on its "maiden ride" today. About 150 miles.Seemed to run "OK "but the engine sounds awfully "ticky".:X By ticky, it sounds like the fuel injectors on my 1990 Toyota 4Runner-not terrible, but very noticible. Do these engines naturally tick or is there a problem?

As I have never heard a well tuned GL1100 I have nothing to compare to.

Any advice appreciated as this will definitely drive me nuts..:shock:

Thanks

JM Wolfe

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

Hello!

My 83 1100 sounded very ticky when I first got it. I adjusted the valves, ran great, sounded good. Then, after a month of not riding, I heard the noise again. So I adjusted the valve clearances again, and found that I must have been intoxicated or under alien influence when I did it the first time. :) They were not quite right. Now the old girl soundsnice and smooth.

Be warned, though, the 1100 seems to have certain inherent ticks from the valves, and that's normal, but if it's quite noticeable, sounds like you need to adjust those valves. If you've not done it before, it's quite easy and doesn't take long, just let me know and I'll post the experience I have and that which I've gleaned from others on this board.

Jack

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

jsmith24 wrote:
Hello!

My 83 1100 sounded very ticky when I first got it. I adjusted the valves, ran great, sounded good. Then, after a month of not riding, I heard the noise again. So I adjusted the valve clearances again, and found that I must have been intoxicated or under alien influence when I did it the first time. :) They were not quite right. Now the old girl soundsnice and smooth.

Be warned, though, the 1100 seems to have certain inherent ticks from the valves, and that's normal, but if it's quite noticeable, sounds like you need to adjust those valves. If you've not done it before, it's quite easy and doesn't take long, just let me know and I'll post the experience I have and that which I've gleaned from others on this board.

Jack
Jack,

Please post away....:DAlways best to have some real life experience to help out with a problem.

Much obliged

JM

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

My 83 with 38000 miles ticks intermittently a little. It quieted down a bit when I changed to the Magic Rotella T in the blue bottle.

Hobie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.