Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well with a big sigh, it's time to get another battery. This is my setup, changed to an automotive alternator, have an Odessey 680 battery for last 5years. Always had it on standby charger but it won't hold a charge. Was thinking ofputting an optima battery in side fairing. Now the big question, I can get a battery with a higher cca but how high of a cca can I go,.......odessey 170 cca optima batteries go as high as 700cca ????? Any thoughts???

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
What model you referring to?
a car engine will crank with 680 ccs,surely it will crank a goldwing motor a long time.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
I'm guessing GL1200? I've owned three Odyssey PC680s, the first was put in our trike in August 2004, I replaced it in early 2016 just due to age, I put another in it's place, I put the '04 veteran in my '85 GL1200A which I then sold in June 2019, as far as I know, it's still doing it's thing. I had bought a second PC680 for the 1200 when I bought the one for the trike in late 2015/early 2016 but had misplaced it & forgot I even had it until I found it one day after the 1200 was sold, so it's my backup. Two Batteries idea

The one in 2004 cost $104 over the counter at a battery store. The two I bought in late 2015 were only '$96 something shipped here from 4WheelParts, was on a sale so I bought two, build dates indicate they were only a couple weeks old.

I've known of a PC680 that was bought about the same time in 2015, it will not charge, but the owner left it on his bike hooked up over a year parked and I guess the clock killed it? Parasitic draw.

I have a charger that has AGM setting as well as 2/6/10 amp rates, once charged it switches to maintenance mode. My maintainer (not charger) is also for AGMs too.

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Bob, as far as cranking amps or cold cranking amp ratings, you can go as high as you want as that's a capacity/output figure. I always have been a big fan using the highest cca rating I could find as they last longer due to the battery not being drained as much and not having the voltage drop as much during starting as a lower capacity battery would..

·
Administrator
22,188 Posts
I have a charger that has AGM setting as well as 2/6/10 amp rates, once charged it switches to maintenance mode. My maintainer (not charger) is also for AGMs too.
Just a mention:
When the contractor who worked on my house noticed the Die Hard battery charger/maintainer hooked to my bike, he told me that he does a lot of fire damage caused by maintainers. And to be honest, Frank had a fire in his garage due to a maintainer hooked to a battery on his work bench. So...

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Just a mention:
When the contractor who worked on my house noticed the Die Hard battery charger/maintainer hooked to my bike, he told me that he does a lot of fire damage caused by maintainers. And to be honest, Frank had a fire in his garage due to a maintainer hooked to a battery on his work bench. So...
When I use a maintainer or charger, I make triple sure it's in free air, no rags, etc nearby or on top of. They can get warm. My favorite method is the hanging method. Keep all cooling slots free of obstruction.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
I bought a battery maintainer from harbor freight when I was in florida last month for 9.99. The first time I hooked it up the wires got hot and then burst into flames, all within 10 seconds of hooking it up. Put out the fire, soaked down the wiring with water and it went straight in the garbage. By the way 9.99 usd is almost 14.00 canadian LOL

·
Administrator
25,353 Posts
I bought a battery maintainer from harbor freight when I was in florida last month for 9.99. The first time I hooked it up the wires got hot and then burst into flames, all within 10 seconds of hooking it up. Put out the fire, soaked down the wiring with water and it went straight in the garbage. By the way 9.99 usd is almost 14.00 canadian LOL
I have 2 I gave less than that for and they have been in constant use for over 12 years.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The Harbor Freight units are known for losing regulation and putting out over 20 volts, cooking your battery. They aren't a smart charger, they are a "trickle" charger, and they're dangerous.

·
Administrator
25,353 Posts
The Harbor Freight units are known for losing regulation and putting out over 20 volts, cooking your battery. They aren't a smart charger, they are a "trickle" charger, and they're dangerous.
I have a genuine Deltran battery tender that did exactly that.

·
Administrator
58,755 Posts
What is a battery maintainer? Never had one.
gumbyred
a Battery Maintainer, is a small charger with Electronic Smarts in it.
Typically they have small current capacities, on the order of 750 mA on the bottom end,
to about 2.5 Amps on the high end of the scale.

I have several "Battery Tender" brand chargers, 750 mA, 900 mA, 1.25 A

the 750 mA is the last one that I bought, and it is on my 2001 Chevy Suburban keeping that battery up to snuff.
That truck sets for weeks at a time w/o being moved, and I went out a couple months ago to use it, and found the battery down to 9.6 volts. I was really pissed at myself over that one, I had forgotten to turn off the Garmin GPS the last time I drove the truck :(

Now, to the real difference in a "maintainer".
The charger monitors the battery voltage and when it gets up to about 12.8 to 13.0 volts ( varies by charger ), it shuts off Charging Mode, and just monitors the voltage.
when the battery falls down to about 12.3 volts, it turns on and starts charging again, and turns off the charger at 12.8+ volts.

On the Battery Tender brand, there is a LED that is RED when the charger is plugged in, and not on a battery, or the battery voltage is low.
That LED turns Green once it goes into "Monitoring Mode" and stays there unless something pulls the battery voltage down faster than it can keep the charge up

I also have a NAPA Deltran, and a Schrader Smart Charger. both are very good maintainers.

In addition to that, I have a very old 12+ years, heavy shop charger with a voltmeter on it, and 3 switch positions.
2A, 10A, 15A

in the 2A range, the voltmeter does not move, but it keeps the battery at 12.8 to 13.3 all the time.

in the 10A range, the voltmeter kicks a lot, jumps up to about 1/3 scale, and the drops off the Zero reading.
that battery is on my Toy Hauler and all the interior lights are 12 volts....
when a light is on, they change in brightness as the charger switches modes. :)

·
Administrator
58,755 Posts
oh, the Suburban battery that was down to 9.6 volts?
I did not replace it, it is "almost new" as I bought early last year......
I just did not want to spend another 100 bux to replace it...

the little 750mA Battery Tender keeps it at full charge all the time.
I just unplug the Battery Tender, and drive the truck.
Get home, and plug it back in.

I do the same exact thing with my GL1800, the minute that it gets in the shop,
up goes the Center Stand, and then I plug in the Battery Tender.

Cheap insurance for battery long life.

·
Dee
6 Posts
Bet that the Battery Tender brand is not amongst those he has worked with.

I have six of them, and not one has ever failed.
I have eight of the Battery Tenders on every battery powered equipment I have and have never had a problem. I get 6 or 7 years on my GL1500 by using a Battery Tender.

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
I just use a car battery charger once in awhile over the winter months. Has a 2 and 6 amp setting. Has a charging rate needle that shows amount of charge going to the battery. Using the 2 amp side, It will flat line at zero when battery is fully charged. Then I take it off for 2 or 3 weeks. Put the charger on again when I think of it. Get 7 years easy out of a battery that way. That is a good time for battery replacement. Much more than that, and you risk ruining your day sometime when battery fails in the middle of nowhere, usually on a Sunday afternoon.
gumbyred

·
Administrator
22,188 Posts
Funny enough is; I found an old Yuasa and thought I would check it. It's been in a box for about 15 months...

It still showed 6 volts. So, out of curiosity, I put the charger on it. After about a half hour I look at it and the charger had gone into maintain mode. I checked the voltage and it was still at 6.7 volts, so I guess, the charger thinks it's a 6 volt battery. ?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Same here eight Deltran Battery Tender Jr.'s both indoors and covered outdoors for years on jet skis, snowmobiles, campers, cars, lawn mowers, generators, tractors and ATVs, with nary a problem.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
I'm a bit late on this thread, though I buy Deka batteries, also made in the US, but for less money.

My last one I bought in 2013 and I just received my replacement from Richard at his great battery store:

No tax (outside OH) or shipping cost and for $92 the price is right for a US made (East Penn) AGM battery that will last a full 5 years. Not sure why you dread the battery replacement after 5 years! I'm happy to have a new battery installed for the confidence on not getting stuck. I just ordered 4 new batteries. Another for my GPz900 and for our two dirt bikes. Best wishes, JD

1 - 20 of 25 Posts