Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
The Deka battery is hard to beat, reasonably priced, and made right here in the U.S.A. I have owned several Deka batteries over the years. Come to think of it, I have not replaced the battery in my 2006 Gold Wing yet. Maybe I should be ordering one now from Richard myself.
gumbyred

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Just pulled my older Deka ETX18L and the date code is J4 which likely means Jan 2014. So that's a full 6 years 2 months and my GL1200 has moved a bit since then. Bought the battery in Austin, TX from a local rep. A year later we moved to Florida and it spent 3 1/2 years there and Florida air is not good on battery life. And it's been in Prescott AZ now for 2 years after 2 cross-country moves. The battery gave out 2 weeks ago after I let the bike sit for near 2 months. Another nice thing about Deka is the side mounts (see pic). I'm able to easily add my upgraded voltage regulator, horn relay and Battery Tender terminal!

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well l see no one really or has done the saddle bag battery transfer . I did like th Ody. battery but after several, she wouldn't hold a charge 5/6 years l think isn't too bad. So l just forked our $116 for a battery claims to replace the Odys battery Full Throttle ft230. has 230 cca vs 170. So will see how it plays out And when I'm not ridding I use a Tender battery and never had a problem with transformer overheating. Thanks for inputs :)!!!

·
Premium Member
6,129 Posts
Funny enough is; I found an old Yuasa and thought I would check it. It's been in a box for about 15 months...

It still showed 6 volts. So, out of curiosity, I put the charger on it. After about a half hour I look at it and the charger had gone into maintain mode. I checked the voltage and it was still at 6.7 volts, so I guess, the charger thinks it's a 6 volt battery. ?
I'm not sure if the technology crosses over or not, but my son used NiCads in his radio controlled race car. He had about a $200 charger that would charge at whatever amperage you set. You could set the charger to cut out at a predetermined voltage. When it was in automatic it would constantly monitor voltage. When the voltage would peak and start down that is all that the battery will take. The charger could charge from 4 to 14 cells at a time. The chatger didn't care how many it was charging as it would just monitor for peak voltage and when it curves down it is done. I wonder if that might be why Dennis had his kick out? The bad battery would only go up to 6.7 volts then peak????

21 - 25 of 25 Posts