Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh my! I think my wife Karen and I are at the point that we have to put the bike out to pasture.....However we are going to do one last extended ride. We have been three directions across the USA. All except the Northeast. We are are going to plan an extended trip all the way from OKlahoma to as far as we can ride into the further most point in Maine.
What I request from you guys is points of interest between here and there and routes that are scenic and of interest. We won't be in a hurry We will probable take at least a month for the trip. Like I said, Oh my.

·
Premium Member
3,351 Posts
Points of interest, etc? Lincoln Highway (US 30) or the Old National Road (old US 40 from Vandalia …. first highway commissioned by Congress). There's a great ride across Pa. on Rt 30, lots of history, Amish country, and close to stop by Flight 93 Memorial site. I had heard of the Johnstown Flood as a child, it's not far off Rt 390 and a lot of exhibits, dam sight, museum to see (2,209 people gone that night in 1889) . From Binghamton, NY to wards Albany, beautiful Susquehana (spl?) River to keep you company but I'd dodge Albany. Baseball Hall of Fame there north of Oneonta, NY (Cooperstown) & Brook's Bar B Que too there at the exit (Oneonta). There is Boston's old harbor, visit USS Constitution (Old Ironsides herself) & Ft Monroe. There's Bar Harbor up in Main, Niagra Falls, Plymouth, Mass. …. and a trip through those Haynesville Woods up in Main. Others may differ, but the Pocano Mtns. are a bore.

If calling it quits is the plan, if there is some reason like a health issue, a long trip like that is not good IMHO. Best make a quick cut. No health reason is gonna get better on a long trip.
If on the other hand, just not sure, I think spring would be better, more time to plan.

We took a trip north for us a time or two to see Fall colors, we were surprised, we have better colors right here. We are keeping the trike, sold the bikes, but qwe always have also enjoyed car trips. I have no desire to be chained to the trike or a bike for 3-4 weeks.

·
Administrator
24,365 Posts
Says the couple that rode a GL1000 from OK city to Harrison Ar for the weekend last month. I don't know the reason but you're probably smarter than most to give it up before you get to the point of being dangerous.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I assume you are making plans for next year....

Why not update your passport and take in some of Canada while you are up there in Maine? Could re-enter the US at Sault-Ste Marie Michigan, Upper Michigan is beautiful country. Another adventure in Michigan is the S.S Badger, an Historic coal-fired Steamship (one of the very last steamships in existence using coal) which makes twice-daily round trips across the middle of Lake Michigan ferrying cars, Semi's, and even bikes between Ludington, Michigan and Manitowoc, Wisconsin. It is officially part of the US-10 route! We took that trip two yrs ago with the 1500 and camper trailer. Check out the SS Badger website, many videos, one shows loading bikes, another shows loading two semi trucks carrying the Budweiser Clydesdale team..... many others.....

·
Premium Member
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Health isn't the reason for giving it up. We just don't enjoy riding like we used to. I will probably keep the 1000 for a while longer but this will be the last planned extended trip so I will be selling the 1500 afterwards. I only ride it any more on longer trips so no need keep it. We enjoy traveling but as we age comfort is becoming important.
This trip will be in the early spring next year. Points of interest are what I am asking about for this trip. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Good luck with planning your trip. Many years back my wife ant I and 3 other couples went from So Calif to Portland Maine and several spots in between. Of course we left from a different part of the country. then you are in. We went to the Arch in St. Louis, Graceland, Amish country, seem New Orleans, seen some plantations, Niagara falls, rode the Blue Ridge Parke way and a lot more. We were gone for 4 weeks. My wife hasn't rode since 2001 but us guys used to do a Guys Only ride once or twice a year, about 4 of us we would be gone about 5 nights. That might be something you might want to do with just the guys if your wife doesn't want to ride anymore. The ladies like some alone tine also.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Wherever you go , make it fun. Stay for at least two nights at the same place every 3 days or so. Dont plan more then 250 miles per day. You could try climbing Mt Washington in NH as an adventure day. But only if you feel up to it. I have heard its kind of tricky.
New England has lots of beautiful coastal roads. Do bring your passport just in case you want to visit Derby, VT and a bit North of it.
Voluntarily retiring from biking is a good thing

·
Administrator
24,365 Posts

·
Just one of the guys
4,774 Posts
Places to stop, there are dozens of things to do in this part of the country. My recommendations are Gettysburg if you have not been there before, the battlefield tour is a full day and there are also tours of places in town and a ghost tour so additional days may be needed depending on your interest. The freedom Trail in Boston is something I have not yet done but would like to. Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor on Mount Desert Isle are both very much designed for tourists. The drive around the perimeter of the island is very enjoyable. Drive US Highway 1 up to the Bay Of Fundy where they have some of the largest swings of tide in the world. Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Isle and the Gaspe Peninsula are all in Canada and are highly recommended. US Rt 2 is a marvelous drive on a motorcycle, decent road surface winding through the mountains and hills. It will put you close to Mount Washington which is one of those things you need to do if you are in the vicinity. The road to the top has a few challenging places especially when the car in front of you stops to take pictures. Lake Placid in NY has the winter Olympic venues which I found quite interesting to tour. The Adirondack Experience (formerly the Adirondack Museum) is a must see, we spent a full day there and while we did not feel rushed yet it was a very full day, they have indoor and outdoor displays and demonstrations. The baseball hall of fame in Cooerstown has already been mentioned, if you are interested in baseball. Niagara Falls deserves at least 1 day to see the highlights. Watkins Glen in southern NY is an interesting stop which also needs at least a day if you want to walk The Glen, check the schedules and make one of the free guided tours. Watkins Glen Race track is also near by if you are in to racing and would like to get a look at the track. There are lots of events that go on there. Hyde Park NY has the home of FDR, and the Vanderbilt Mansion Museum if you want to se how the rich folk used to live.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Why would a American need a passport to visit Derby Vt. ?
Derby Line VT is a town right on the border. The dividing line passes to the towns library. I would find that interesting to explore.Maybe he wants to see the other half.
Google it

·
Premium Member
3,351 Posts
Health isn't the reason for giving it up. We just don't enjoy riding like we used to. … etc …
Well there you go.:wink2:

No shame, we started riding a trike more than the bike 15 years ago by choice. Now we ride the trike only when we feel the desire. We take more rides by car or even PU now. I do just love driving. I never recall wanting to go for weeks on end across country chained to a bike or trike, jacket & helmets, but take same trip in one of my cars? …. Hell yeah, when do we leave I will ask.

Had a whole group of our friends go on a western tour for like 30 days back in 2008. I let just one know my plans when I heard thiers ...and when time came, we ("Wife Unit" and I) drove out in our Mercury (I carried a 40ch CB and mag mount antenna) and were on the hill waiting for thier arrival at Goulding's Lodge in southern Utah. Was a real surprise for them, we followed around a few days, toured museum there, Navajo Tour buss ride, carried some of their Co-riders wanting a break, drove up Moki Dugway & back, 4 corners, Cortez, Mesa Verde, down to Albuquerqui, and then we branched off up to Santa Fe and then down through Madrid and out to Ft Sumner. Did some other touring on long way home. We had a blast.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will I have to apoligize. Karen my loving wife has read this thread and I have been admonished for leading you all astray. Seems "we" aren't ready to give up to give up touring yet. Oh well! However we are still in the p!anning stages of a trip to The far Northeast. Keep the suggestions comming.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well if you're planning a more southerly route, Tennessee has some beautiful country, nice roads, and lots of history.
Jack Daniels and George Dickle distilleries, Civil War battleground and national parks.
We took a 15 day trip from Tulsa to Myrtle Beach this past June, and I would go again tomorrow if I had any vacation time left.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Glad to hear you're not hanging up your gloves yet.
Some of my happiest moments were on the bike. I never feel "chained" to it.
True that at some point in a long trip I wished I had a car with me but if I did I would probably miss my motorcycle,You have to make sure you enjoy the road otherwise fly to your destination.
To me its an adventure. Planning your trip could be fun too.
Yesterday I showed a certain destination to my wife on youtube. Shes all for it.
If business does not interfere with it next Summer will be on the road for close to a month.
Happy planning

·
Premium Member
3,351 Posts
Will I have to apoligize. Karen my loving wife has read this thread and I have been admonished for leading you all astray. Seems "we" aren't ready to give up to give up touring yet. Oh well! However we are still in the p!anning stages of a trip to The far Northeast. Keep the suggestions comming.
It might help to read of your interests, like historical stuff or sights or just a good ride? If you came across Tn., there is Jackson & Casey (John Luther) Jones museum or Nashville & Opryland or go up at Pall Mall to see Alvin York's home turf and the Grist Mill, etc or on north to Corbin Ky to see first Col. Sanders place, lots of stuff to see.
I like "theme" trips, like touring a route as they all have stuff to see and you'll always find you missed something. You can plan, map out, do it all, and still look back and say "I missed that". you'll find fun stuff on any of the older routes. I mentioned both the Lincoln Highway (rt30) and The Old National Road (rt40) as examples. I just look at a map, pick a direction & length, and tend to avoid interstates as much as I can.
Glad to hear you're not hanging up your gloves yet.
Some of my happiest moments were on the bike. Some ... yes. I never feel "chained" to it. Neither do I … the first few days.
True that at some point in a long trip I wished I had a car with me but if I did I would probably miss my motorcycle,You have to make sure you enjoy the road otherwise fly to your destination. Flying is no good choice and two wheels ain't the only way to enjoy road trips.
To me its an adventure. Planning your trip could be fun too. For sure.
Yesterday I showed a certain destination to my wife on youtube. Shes all for it.
If business does not interfere with it next Summer will be on the road for close to a month.
Happy planning
Have fun!:smile2:

·
Premium Member
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well if you're planning a more southerly route, Tennessee has some beautiful country, nice roads, and lots of history.
Jack Daniels and George Dickle distilleries, Civil War battleground and national parks.
We took a 15 day trip from Tulsa to Myrtle Beach this past June, and I would go again tomorrow if I had any vacation time left.
Been the southern routes a number of times, along the BRP up to DC. Will be riding northern roads this time. Just because it will new to us.

·
Premium Member
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't had time to look on the map to go over the sites you have listed yet but I will in the next few days
I think we might ride up toward the great lakes and then eastward. Not for sure though.
Interested mainly in scenic routes, historical sites involving US history, routes along the coast lines of the great lakes. Areas across upstate NY avoiding the interstates and big cities. More to come.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Guys, take a look at the little map in Dingdong's signature - I think he may be intent on filling in the states that aren't colored yet... :grin3:

·
Premium Member
3,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys, take a look at the little map in Dingdong's signature - I think he may be intent on filling in the states that aren't colored yet... :grin3:
True story. Like I said, we have been to the other three further most points. Want make it a foursome. Just might miss out on Georgia and S. Carolina. Would be great to fill in the entire map though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts