Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
True story. Like I said, we have been to the other three further most points. Want make it a foursome. Just might miss out on Georgia and S. Carolina. Would be great to fill in the entire map though.

I have been to all the lower 48 (actually on the same bike).....!!

·
Administrator
22,065 Posts
I have been to all the lower 48 (actually on the same bike).....!!
The BSA?

Actually, very few can even name all the lower 48, let alone ever been to them all. I haven't, but have managed to set down a foot...or kick stand, in most.

Much of the Atlantic coast is still white on my map. Bike, even with 300K on the clock, has never been farther east than Oklahoma.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
If you do make it to the Great Lakes and in particular to Michigan, add the Gilmore Car Museum to your plan. It's about a dozen miles north of Kalamazoo and has the finest collection of antique vehicles anywhere, including motorcycles. They hold an annual motorcycle show in June if you really want to see some incredible two and three wheeled specimens. Spend some time at Grand Haven beach. Head north to the Grand Traverse area and enjoy some winery tours and other artsy fartsy stuff. From there, take M-119 aka the Tunnel of Trees. If you're into Polish food, there is none finer than the offerings at Leg's Inn at the north end of M-119. Leave the bike behind and spend a day on Mackinaw Island. Cross the Mighty Mac bridge. Explore the U.P. then either head to Wisconsin, Canada or back over the bridge and explore the East side of the lower peninsula.

When you get to Connecticut, hit New Haven and enjoy a burger at Luis's Lunch, birthplace of the hamburger! Don't ask for ketchup unless you are itching for a fight. Then there is the Italian offerings in New Haven's Little Italy. Grab a clam pie at Frank Pepe's. To avoid any confusion, pizza in New Haven is pronounced "Ah-BEETZ" Oh and don't bother with a Lobster Roll anywhere but along the Connecticut coast.

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
The BSA?

Actually, very few can even name all the lower 48, let alone ever been to them all. I haven't, but have managed to set down a foot...or kick stand, in most.

Much of the Atlantic coast is still white on my map. Bike, even with 300K on the clock, has never been farther east than Oklahoma.

A '99 Wing

·
Old School Guru
7,886 Posts
Hate to hear that your giving it up, however, I respect your and Karen's decision. I still have a few more years in me to ride, I don't ride as much as I used to, either. My reasons are more medical than anything. Was thinking of buying a new bike for a while, but decided that i don't ride as much to justify spending that kind of money, so instead, going to invest some money over the winter on my old trike and keep it for a few more years. it has been a pretty good bike since I have had it, the previous owner didn't take care of it, but we really enjoy it, so now is the time to start working on it and fix everything. I hope to see you both again soon, if not, maybe I will have to ride over to OK and visit sometime. Take care, my friend.
Gene:smile2:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Someone mentioned Canada route returning thru Michigan. While you are in Sault-Ste Marie,, spend a day and take the AGAWA canyon tour. Train ride about 3 hours to a canyon eat lunch while they turn train around, wander canyon and waterfalls. The ride has some of the best scenic views of lakes , mountains. The train is the only connection to the world., everyone in the little "towns" has to stop what they are doing and wave at the trains.

·
Premium Member
3,278 Posts
If you go to Michigan and are interested in museums and history, you might want to take a tour at the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village. Also the Ford Rouge Factory tour. These are in Dearborn, Mi.

·
Premium Member
3,515 Posts
Up there in Blanchard, North Dakota …. there is a tall radio antenna (over 2,000 feet). I've intended to check it out if I ever get up there. Was built in 1963, was tallest until they built one taller in Warsaw, Poland in the '70s (but it fell later). My Dad used to climb towers … in the '50s in West Texas.

200 feet looked tall to me waiting on the ground with them longhorns circling …
… hell, 20 feet looked tall then.

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
Sounds like a good trip to the Northeast if you take US routes my memory is fading me but I think you can take US 62 from OKC to around Buffalo NY or US 66 to 412 to 62 so you can see Niagara Falls US 20 east or US 2 and US 6 if you get to Lake Champlain take the Ferry across to Burlington VT lots of beautiful scenery in NE if you get to Boston area the Mayflower, Plymouth Rock, Salem, and the house of 7 Gables are good sites. Cape Cod and Portland Maine amongst a host of other sites in that area

Enjoy both the planning stage and the trip itself

·
Registered
208 Posts
Don't know about the rest of you, but sometimes I enjoy planning a trip almost as much as taking it. We lay out a rough route and then contact the Dept of Tourism of the states we will be going through. Get tons of maps, booklets and so on to look at for a few months. Helps to plan interesting places to see and so on. I have quite a pile of road maps now from various states. Many I would go visit again someday if I last long enough. Pushing hard on 3/4 century now so know it may be soon. I don't do very hot days at all any more for any distance. Found that out last summer after going to visit my Mother. Only 125 miles away from my home, but something about 90+ temps and high humidity just did me in. I myself prefer temps in the 70's, wind does not seem to bother me as much as high heat. Would like to tour southwestern part of country soon. Utah looks very scenic and interesting to us. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy your planning and trip!!

·
Premium Member
3,515 Posts
Would like to tour southwestern part of country soon. Utah looks very scenic and interesting to us. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy your planning and trip!!
Love Utah. Last time there, at Goulding's, saw sun, dust storm, rain, hail … then nice night all in same afternoon-evening. We went up to top Moki Dugway … and other stuff.

Attachments

·
Administrator
58,459 Posts
Don't know about the rest of you, but sometimes I enjoy planning a trip almost as much as taking it. We lay out a rough route and then contact the Dept of Tourism of the states we will be going through. Get tons of maps, booklets and so on to look at for a few months. Helps to plan interesting places to see and so on. I have quite a pile of road maps now from various states. Many I would go visit again someday if I last long enough. Pushing hard on 3/4 century now so know it may be soon. I don't do very hot days at all any more for any distance. Found that out last summer after going to visit my Mother. Only 125 miles away from my home, but something about 90+ temps and high humidity just did me in. I myself prefer temps in the 70's, wind does not seem to bother me as much as high heat. Would like to tour southwestern part of country soon. Utah looks very scenic and interesting to us. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy your planning and trip!!
at 77-1/2 now, I am long done now with long trips, and temps over 80F are more than I can handle now.

I need to be done and back to the house by noon, or at least checked into a hotel so that I can rest.

Did a nice little trip last Friday, 175 miles one way, about 2:45 each way, to and back.

was more than I could handle. Nearly turned around going down, but I didn't.

on the return trip, I stopped and laid down on the ground for a rest.....
had a lot of people ask me if I am okay, one of whom did not trust my reply and called a sheriff to come check me out.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts