Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys, This is my first REAL post here... I've been reading a lot.. looks like theres lots of knowledge here!!

Anywho....... I've got a 76 GL1000 that will start, but won't idle for long and appears to have a coolant leak.

This bike was my fathers, he stoped riding it when it overheaded due to a bad theromstatic switch for the fan. When he finally decided to get an 08 1800, he sold me the 76.

We replaced the blown head gasket and checked it for warpage... all good there.

We replaced the theromstatic switch with a new one off ebay.. so good there.

The bike sat for 2 years without running, so the carbs came off and got a general cleaning, not a ton of gunk, but not bad.

The bike was trailered up to me and is now in my garage awaiting my wrenching skills.

With choke, the bike will start on the first push of the start button. It will stay running at 2000+ rpm, will idle for maybe 15 seconds with no throttle and then die. The exaust smells PIG rich... I have not pulled the plugs yet.

My dad said that as he was trying to get her running after the gasket swap, he noticed a collant leak. He believes its either the collant tube orings or the thermostatic switch oring. I want to resolve the collant leak before moving on to the idle issue... so...

I can't seem to find a part number or supplier for any of those orings.... anyone have any sugestions? Or... do you have thoughts on anyhting else? I've got to get some pics taken.. its a GEORGOUS bike!!

·
Premium Member
494 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Timing belts where changed when we did the head gasket.... thats the first bit of advice I took from here.. hahaha. I've got the service manual, so I'm good there...

off to download the parts list.... THANKS!

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Backyardbob (300,000 plus mile GL1000 rider) sells the gasket sets on Ebay for the crossover tubes. Very reasonable just a few bucks. I think he goes by huntingtontech or something like that.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Also sounds like your slow idle jets are clogged take those carbs off and clean out those jets..do a complete rebuild is better..if not after you clean the jets run a couple of tanks of sea foam..

I just picked up a 76 in sad shape I won't be far behind you but I have much further to go..mine doesn't run.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Hehehe, yea, my 76 isn't in that bad of shape!! Thanks for the advice... I'll have to have the carbs out to put in the coolant tube gaskets anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

On the coolant tubes the O rings can be a real pain in the %$#@. Make sure the ends are burr free and I use a bit of lube ( pet jelly or white lith grease) on the O rings. Do not Twist!! Line them up perfectly straight and use steady even pressure until they slide in. They take a surprizing amount of force. After they are in place inspect them with a strong light and make sure the O ring did not roll over the ridge.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,898 Posts
imported post

Here is a link to a metric Oring set from Harbor Freight. I bought one of these a while back when doing some engine work on my Wing. It has been a life saver. Just the time and gas it has saved me from running around looking for Orings has more than paid for itself.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I did get the oring set and I'm rarin to go!!! But I realised I need the oring for the thermo fan switch as well.... any thoughts on where I can order that?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.