Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This year My "Black Velvet" started leaking a little gas intoa cyclinder. It smokes when I start it up. Left side most. But clears upafter it warms up. I now Turn off gas when I stop,, But it is still happening.. I guess after 78,k miles, I need to go thru those 4 babys....:blackstuff:

Anyone got any tips for me?

Honda gets a killing for the rebuild kits.

Any suggestions.?

Thanks for any replies

Velvetrider

Attachments

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

velvetrider,
Welcome to the forum!, where are you located, you didn't put that in the profile, the picture looks like New England. Did you just get the bike or how long have you had it?

edit: Looks like NH plate. I grew up in Amherst & Milford

As far as the smoking it could be oil getting past the rings or the guide seals** on the side stand, try putting it on the center stand and see if it smokes on startup. I would tend to think it oil from the seals first. Is the bike running right other than the smoke at start up? Might not be the carbs. These have been known to smoke on left bank on startup after sitting overnight or longer. Give us a little more info to help diagnostic eval.
The carbs are not real hard to rebuild if it comes down to it. There are threads on it, Good instructions from Randakk on rebuilding the carbs as well as parts.

Keep us posted, give as much info and do ask.
God Bless
Stu

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

velvetrider wrote:
Anyone got any tips for me?

Honda gets a killing for the rebuild kits.

Any suggestions.?

Thanks for any replies

Velvetrider
Buy the best parts you can afford after you inspect. Between Honda and Randakk's site, you should be set to go.

Don't scrimp now, ...you'll regret it later more than likely later, as most do.

...and, ... never question a perfectionist. ;)

·
Administrator
25,787 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
I got my OEM kits from http://www.westernhonda.com. Just what's necessary and much less expensive than Randakks. Randy's kits do have new screws and cotter keys in them though.
I'll have to stand up for Randakks here, his kits have a lot more stuff in them than what you would get from Honda. The only thing they don't have is float valves which he admits the OE parts are the only way to go if you need them. If you are going to do a proper rebuild his is the only way to go.

As for velvetrider's problem, it is not the carbs. Oil is seeping past the rings on the left side when you lean it over on the side stand. Very common with 4 cyl. wings and not a real problem. It is not the valve seals, the oil level is not up to the valves unless it is severely overfilled.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
imported post

was the bike hard to turn over.When i picked up mine had gas in one cyc. had to pull

plug to get it to turn over put seafoam in tank and ran for a couble tank and shut off

gas when not running been 6000 miles and no problems.:action:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'll second the recommendation to stay with Mother Honda's float valves. I've tried two different brands of aftermarket needles and seats and neither of them would shut off the fuel at the proper float setting. OEM ones did. If you do use aftermarket float valves or even OEM it's worth your while to rig up a quart can as a temporary fuel tank and hang it a couple feet over your carbs on a bench. With the caps and sliders out of the carbs you can see if fuel is leaking past your float valves by looking at the jets in the base of the carbs. You may be surprised to see fuel welling up in the jets. Using one set of aftermarket valves I had to set thefloat higher than normal to get the leakage stopped. In the end I junked them and installed OEM valves and had no problem setting the level correctly. One thing for sure if you don't get the floats set correctly it's impossible to get the bike running as well as it should.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:

As for velvetrider's problem, it is not the carbs. Oil is seeping past the rings on the left side when you lean it over on the side stand. Very common with 4 cyl. wings and not a real problem. It is not the valve seals, the oil level is not up to the valves unless it is severely overfilled.
Dave,

Good point I hadn't thought of, knew it was one or the other. Thanks for setting it straight.

Stu :bow:

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

It smokes when I start it up
Completely normal, especially after it sits for more than a couple days. Probably don't need a carb rebuild.

If it bothers you, put it on the centerstand when parked.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,311 Posts
imported post

Different year, but I always full time park my bike on the center stand. That means if it is overnight or longer.

Takes less room in the garage that way :bowing:

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks for all you guys input, As I always use centerstand, and turn off fuel and have a friend who used to work for Honda Dealer. We have determined that the problem disappears if I run the carbs completley empty it does not smoke: I am resonably sure that it is a carb "leak by" problem. I have built 2cycle tace engines when I raced, so this is not my first "rodeo"

As for parts, I have recieved the wrong parts from Honda serveral times. I will remove the carbs after Christmas and determine exactly what is needed. Where I get my parts is still in the Air.

Thanks again,

velvetrider.

Mooresville, NC.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

If you have to, go with Honda float valves but check them first. Could just need a good cleaning. I ALWAYS use Randakk kits with new plenum seals and intake o-rings along with everything else. Not cheap but you only have to do it once and you'll have the parts in a day or two.Remember, fuel goes through the plenum so change these seals for sure. I've done several 1100's and close by so let me know if you run into a snag.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
imported post

Velvetrider---I have used randakks kit and video for my GL 1000s , i believe he has a book for the 1100 , very satisfied with my results Then again it was my first Rodeo-LOL
Cheers with your project
Terry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.