Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I last had the seat off in the summer and I did realize the left shock spring coated with a n oil dirt mixture like what you would find on the bottom of an old car.
Didn't think anything of it. The shocks felt more and more squishy and bouncy and then last month I repaired the air ride switch and noticed that the max air was already in there. 56psi
But I went ahead and added more to get a better feel. Even at 62 now It feels like Im riding a pogo stick.
I don't know why it took me this long to think that the shock was going but I think I may have leaked all or most of the fluid from the shock
is it repairable refillable don't have the cash to go upgrade and I may have to get rid of the girl in the summer to complete my down payment on a house.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
The spring shock is rebuildable, I'm sure we had someone on the forum who described rebuilding the spring shock.
Here's a mention you might fire a PM off to westgl to get more info.
The real trick is making a spring compressor so you can get the lock ring off to disassemble the shock. You probably don't need much in the way of parts most likely just a seal. I don't see any shock parts listed for the shock but they are a stock item and usually can be found at a bearing shop or on line if you can read the number on the seal to search with.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
After looking at the parts fiche I would say the left shock is not repairable . I would look to ebay for a used one . Unless your ready to drop a pocket of cash for a set Preogressive air shocks (416 ) . They also make a set of spring only shocks .

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Several here have rebuilt the spring side shock. I believe that Progressive has the seals available for the Honda shocks as well.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
it could be so Paul . I was just going on the fact of the parts fiche shows no parts and the service manual only shows removing the spring to measure free length ,which is 274.5mm (10.81 in )

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks I just searched the Progressive sight and couldn't find anything except affordable shocks if I were to keep the bike. I emailed tech support to see If they supplied any rebuild kits . Ill look a bit further but a suspension kit for my bike is $200 or so I forget right now.
A bit cheaper than they were for my 1200

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
The air shock is easily repairable, if you can find the seal. You don't have to dis-assemble it, just remove the snap ring on the seal and blow the seal out with air pressure, drain out what oil may still be in it, refill and re-assemble.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
The air shock is easily repairable, if you can find the seal. You don't have to dis-assemble it, just remove the snap ring on the seal and blow the seal out with air pressure, drain out what oil may still be in it, refill and re-assemble.
There are posts on doing this if you use the search tool. I think Satan has some info on the parts.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
FWIW: Badly needed new rear shocks for my '95SE. Called Progressive; bought their 412-4223C shocks, made specifically for GL1500. They have 4 rate adjustments & LOVE 'em! BEST item I ever got for Wing, except my Austone rear tire [my air shock system had gone kaput, so it made no sense to stick w/expensive OEM shocks on 18 yr.-old cycle]. TTFN & HAPPY NEW YEAR.....Old Tom

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so I have a question. It sounds like only one has to be rebuilt . Ill look at my Manual but for now are the 2 shocks different.?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Ok so I have a question. It sounds like only one has to be rebuilt . Ill look at my Manual but for now are the 2 shocks different.?
Yes, Stock shocks on the 1500 has one air and one coil over.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So in theory the only one I would need to replace is the coilover, Hence the coating of oil on the spring itself.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
So in theory the only one I would need to replace is the coilover, Hence the coating of oil on the spring itself.
As long as the air shock isn't leaking, yes or rebuild it.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i think i will tak ethe gamble with a used unit off of ebay for $25

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Honda never intended the left side 'spring' shock to be rebuildable...but some people still will try and scare up the parts where they can...and maybe some of the time it'll work OK. My experience with rebuilding high quality, high pressure gas shocks has led me to realize that about half the time they leak...the shock rod is also shot. If rebuilt with a new seal they'll just leak again right away, or prematurely. I personally think it's pretty much a waste of time to mess around trying to fix the original. I suggest you check around at some of the trike conversion outfits. The 'spring' shock is usually not used with the conversions. There's probably a bunch sitting around in shops and garages just collecting dust that can be purchased reasonably.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Point well taken. Lookiing on flebay now. I let one slip through my finger 2 months ago for $20. Now I cant find any under $90 . Ill troll ebay for the next few weeks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.