Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older timeout (I think, the nose piece looks like it). I am going to be rebuilding it over the winter. What kind of material should I be looking for the tent portion? Thanks in advance...

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Rip Stop Nylon with a vinyl top... Don't know where you would buy it - a fabric store perhaps??? Just asked my wife (she sews) - she says large fabric stores will carry it (rip stop nylon)...

Les

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
The tent part can be obtained as a replacement unit depending on the age. I have a one and for mine it would run about $700.

Ronnie

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tent part can be obtained as a replacement unit depending on the age. I have a one and for mine it would run about $700.

Ronnie
Its old, and I'm not 100% sure its a timeout. It looks a lot like one, but I understand back when this one was made, there were a lot of knockoff companies that built them.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's one picture in travel mode...

Attachments

·
Just one of the guys
4,832 Posts
There are places out there that will make a new canvas for you if send in the one you have. They just take it apart and use the old one as a pattern and make a new one for you. http://www.bearcreekcanvas.com/ is one such place, I never did business with them but from what I see on the web page you should be able to get a good idea of what they can do and a phone call would tell you how much.

I suppose if you have the heavy duty sewing equipment, time and skill you could make one yourself. I think it would be a pretty big job for the average person, especially getting the windows and screens and all of that to hang nice and straight when done.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've done quite a bit of sewing. The limo manufacturer I worked for had the electronics department was next to the upholstery dept. I learned a lot and went as far as recovering the front and rear seats in a 1999 Ford F-250 I had at the time. You are right, I just used the old one as the pattern for the new. this is more of a tent material, definitely not vinyl. I dont think vinyl would fold up like the tent material does. This stuff is really thin, but waterproof. It just has a few little pinholes on the top that gets my bride wet when it rains hard. I made a new rainfly for it last week, out of a little thicker material. It should work rather well. I would like to redo the rest over the winter. I ride a Goldwing, so there isnt anything to do to it, lol. May have to change the oil or something, lol. So I need some sort of project to work on...

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I do some vinyl marine upholstery and have done several boat covers. I think what you want for a tent is like an awning material. It is a synthetic canvas that is water proof.

Check out Rochford Supply out of Minnesota. They have lots of outdoor material and will send samples upon request.
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/?gclid=CK7TvuScoLMCFc5cMgodEQIAHQ

Give them a call, good people !!

I think what you want is what they call their "topgun"

Ripstop nylon is good for some tents, but for a camper, you want a better material.

Topgun is easy to work with and much more dimensionally stable than ripstop for a beginner. You will need a really heavy duty or commercial machine to sew it with. Use poly thread not nylon as poly is UV resistant.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bump...

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Upholstery fabric outlet (UFO) look for the heavy guage ripstop nylon and a vinyl for the covering.

Should probably set you back around $40.00-50.00 for all the fabric needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.