Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 60 of 107 Posts

Premium Member
The high points of the cam is how I've been adjusting the points since I've been trying this. I understand the concept of how to set gap but I don't understand why it won't start according to instruction.
If you have all the wiring correct. That is both the primary and spark plug wires. If you have the point gap right. Regardless of anything else the bike should run or try very hard to run.
Make sure the wires on the point set end up at the right coils..

Make sure the plug wires are on the correct spark plugs. That is the plug wires from the right coil go to the 2 front cylinders.

Left coil plug wires go to the rear 2 cylinders.
ALSO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The yellow wire has to go from the right coil to the left set of points
The blue wire has to go from the left coil to the right point set.

If you have the yellow and blue wires correct.
If you have the spark plugs placed correct.
If you have the points adjusted correct.
.If the rest of the bike is in good working order.
The engine should run or at least try to run.
If you get that far then talk about timing and tuning to get it just right. 馃対

Screenshot (188)_LI.jpg Screenshot (190).png Screenshot (192)_LI.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #43
It doesn't seem you do understand. Above you said you had been adjusting the gap at the F mark, which if you do the points will never close & they do have to close to work.
So then, the breaker plate should be aligned to where the points are at the highest cam lift before the F mark?

Registered
Discussion Starter #45
If you have all the wiring correct. That is both the primary and spark plug wires. If you have the point gap right. Regardless of anything else the bike should run or try very hard to run.
Make sure the wires on the point set end up at the right coils..

Make sure the plug wires are on the correct spark plugs. That is the plug wires from the right coil go to the 2 front cylinders.

Left coil plug wires go to the rear 2 cylinders.
ALSO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The yellow wire has to go from the right coil to the left set of points
The blue wire has to go from the left coil to the right point set.

If you have the yellow and blue wires correct.
If you have the spark plugs placed correct.
If you have the points adjusted correct.
.If the rest of the bike is in good working order.
The engine should run or at least try to run.
If you get that far then talk about timing and tuning to get it just right. 馃対
I will try to double check this tonight when I get back to the bike, I just don't see the shop charging me 650$ to plug in the new wiring harness to mess up. My plug wires are according to the service manual. I'll ensure left points are firing the correct cylinders as well.

Registered
No, the points should just open at the F .
Put f mark in window. Turn the plate until you get a spark. This will be real close. Do the same for the other side with the proper F mark.
You are really close

Administrator
So then, the breaker plate should be aligned to where the points are at the highest cam lift before the F mark?
Don't even worry about the F mark or any other mark or the breaker plate. Look at the point cam, you can see the high point of the lobe, adjust the points with the points on the highest part of the lobe. If you have spark they are at least close enough for it to try to run if it is close to in time. The notches on the main breaker plate should be at the top near where the notch in the housing is where you can use a screwdriver to turn the plate.

Registered

it鈥檚 been a looong time since I had a Wing with points BUT seems to me like the points are set to the high spot on the the cam via the screws that hold them down,loosen them and move them to proper gap.

Premium Member
So you have spark from the left coils only? switch the small wires from the left coils to the right coils and see they provide spark. If they do then you need to go back and find out why the right set of points is not operating correctly.

Administrator
Apparently both sets of my coils have the right coil not firing?
Please find someone who knows about setting ignition points. It will be an old guy since points pretty much disappeared with the 1970s. It doesn't have to be a motorcycle mechanic, just an old auto mechanic.

Administrator
Then you have no spark for cylinders 3 and4>>>>> If so recheck the gap on the left point set. The left points trigger the right coil.
The right coil is 1&2, left point set.

Reactions: redwing52

Registered
I just clarifying for the student, it's one coil for front cylinders 1/2 and the other for rear 3/4. Not right bank or left bank.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 107 Posts