Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Howdy all,

The bike in question is an '83 interstate, with 56k miles. It was a well-maintained garage-kept machine; I'm the second owner. I just put on Goodyear timing belts, adjusted the valves, replaced plugs, and synched the carbs, and a myriad of service tasks. It starts great cold (like instantly with choke), and once warm, idles nicely, but SOMETIMES needs to crank for a second longer than I think it should when at "full hot". The issue is at low-end (under 2500 rpm). There is what sounds like a rough "shuddering" as it revs to above 2500. It SOUNDS like pre-detonation, and FWIW, I can get legitimate "ping" at 45-50 mph in OD if I roll 'em open hard. I did not think that was normal, and it sure doesn't make me happy. I'm running 87 from Chevron if it matters; it's also been 94-98f here in NE GA. It seems as though the advance rate is inconsistent, as there are a precious few times it doesn't ping at WOT/OD, and even starts hot w/o more than a few turns of the crank.
What are the odds of a sticking advancer? How hard is this to remedy?

Thanks!

Fabricator

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

have you tried pulling the vacum line off the carb. and plugging it and see if it still pings. some have said they didn't feel much difference with the line off. at 45-50 mph in OD , you are lugging the engine.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Wda,

Thanks. I'll try that as part of the troubleshooting. I know the speed I was running in OD was too slow for "regular operation"; I was trying to "induce" knock, to verify what it sounded like. I'm curious though if it should knock, even when "lightly lugged" at lower speeds in OD.

Fabricator

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

On my 83 the vacuum advance diaphram is kapoot . It still runs ok with no noise . I would think if your was stuck in the advance position that would be even better . Have the carbs been syncronized lately ? The primary chain makes a heck of a racket under acceleration when carbs are out of balance .

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I did a carb synch as part of the recent tune up/ service. The PO had all the valves too tight (0.001"- 0.002"), so I'm wondering if I'll need to "re-synch" after a couple hundred miles, assuming the valves are establishing proper wear patterns now. I also did not check the hose yet. I'm just going to get a couple vac- plugs AND a length of vac hose. I'll let you know what I find. I suppose the hose could be faulty too...

Fabricator

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

yes the valve adjustment will make a difference in the carb sync. maybe not a lot. but with the valves seating better it`ll bring up the vacuum readings and compression too.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

All the 4 cylinder Goldwings I have owned had a noisy sound from the engine when given a lot of throttle at lower rpms. Don't know what caused it but I just kept the rpms up when whacking open the throttle and no problem.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

As for the pinging issue, I have to use 91+ in mine (and I know a few others have had to also).. I know.. it was made for regular, but it seems that it is on the edge and any little thing (carbon, timing, etc) will put it over the top.. for example, my compression is 170-175 all cylinders.. Hot starting sometimes gives a problem too (with early ignition) and I sometimes use the "kill switch on" method for the intial crankover..

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I think your bike is probably fine. Keep the revs up when taking off and yes they make a hell of a racket when lugged, such as rolling on the power at low rpms. My bike pings a bit in hot weather and is balky to start when "full hot". The fuel bowls sit over that hot engine and will boil out a little bit of fuel causing a longer than average start time. I put one of Randakk's electric pumps on mine 3-4 years ago and after riding on a hot day, I turn on the ign. switch and wait about 10 seconds to let the bowls fill back up and voila' she starts like new.

My bike runs like a sewing machine and gets 40-42 mpg all day long.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks all!

I'll re-check synch. I replaced the vac line and there was no change. I'm spoiled by the cb750's quiet take-offs apparently :) I'm a stickler for proper tuning and wanted to be sure the O'l "GL" was running right. I'll try a tank of premium fuel ad well and see if things change.

Fabricator

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

relax the valves a bit

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
imported post

id say flat out on a guess it has weak ignition ....when new the ignition is barely up to par ....id say your ignition is not running at 6 volts ....they only run on 12 volts at start up ....honda has way to much BS wiring and connectors and such and the bikes are old period...when this is a problem ideling and low end running are the most effected when the ignition is weak....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.