Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just wondering if the belts are dated by code? My 1200 belts were supposedto have been changed not that long ago but I don't have the documentation. If they were changed I don't know if the belts were Old Stock.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Not that I have ever heard of. The general rule is if there is any doubt change them.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

I read alot about timing belts, but has anyone actually had them fail? I know its not something you want to happen, just wondering if it has ever happened to anyone and what the results were.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
imported post

wayler wrote:
I read alot about timing belts, but has anyone actually had them fail? I know its not something you want to happen, just wondering if it has ever happened to anyone and what the results were.
Yep. Had a belt fail that only had a couple thousand miles on it and it was maybe 2 years old. Here's the results -

Cost was $325.

Didn't cause any other damage - but when you're 40 miles from home and it's 11:00PM, it's a pretty sad sight seeing your Wing laying on it's side on a rollback, because nobody had a trailer or any other way to haul it. That was 20 years ago. I've got the trailer now and a lot better handle on the Wing as a mechanical being.

Larry

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Over my time on the forum I have read several posts about timing belt failures, some were as cheap as a few bucks, others mentioned looking for new engines, or used engines, because the valves had gone threw the pistons....

I can only add to what everyone else says "When in doubt change them out" ...Why take the chances on belts that you are not sure of....Replace them....I have looked at a new timing belt that I had bought for my Wing and I can't see any where it has a date of any kind on it....I ordered two belts, paid for two, and in my bag when I picked my belts up were three belts, so I have a spare....:shock:.....So after your question I took a marker and wrote the date I bought this belt on the box...If I need it I will know exactly when I bought it.....

Claude.....

·
Premium Member
3,771 Posts
imported post

lsgyger wrote:
wayler wrote:
Yep. Had a belt fail that only had a couple thousand miles on it and it was maybe 2 years old. Here's the results -

Cost was $325.

Didn't cause any other damage - but when you're 40 miles from home and it's 11:00PM, it's a pretty sad sight seeing your Wing laying on it's side on a rollback, because nobody had a trailer or any other way to haul it. That was 20 years ago. I've got the trailer now and a lot better handle on the Wing as a mechanical being.

Larry
Same as mine. Valves and guides. 100 miles from home. Fortunately I have roadside assistance.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

They do fail. The level of damage seems to be dependant mostly on engine speed at the time of failure. I have heard of a couple of situations where it only required a single valve change and others that scrapped the engine.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
imported post

Whiskerfish wrote:
They do fail. The level of damage seems to be dependant mostly on engine speed at the time of failure. I have heard of a couple of situations where it only required a single valve change and others that scrapped the engine.
Really? I was doing about 70 mph, giving it throttle (maybe 4200 rpmor more) and only had the 2 valves bent. Guess they weren't open all the way. I consider myself lucky, then.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
imported post

Ok, you all have convinced me it can be a serious problem. My 1998 1500 has 40 some thousand miles on it and I do not know if they have ever been changed. Probably something I should be thinking about. Thanks

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

Yea, they convinced me too. I have a 1999 1500SE, and i just ordered my 2 timing belts from NAPA yesterday, along with new plugs, and will be picking up a gallon of coolant(silicate-free), and a gallon of dot4 brake fluid for the changes on them too.

I figure for less that $100 and a day in my shop with this site, and my clymer guide, will be well worth it by not having to worry about it.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
imported post

When I changed mine over the winter I took a permanent marker and wrote the date and mileage on the casting and cover. I have a poor memory. I did mark it down in the log I'm keeping for the bike, but will probably forget where I put it. If I ever sell it, at least the next owner will have some idea how old they are.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

wayler wrote:
Ok, you all have convinced me it can be a serious problem. My 1998 1500 has 40 some thousand miles on it and I do not know if they have ever been changed. Probably something I should be thinking about. Thanks
Should not nbe thinking about it You should be doing it!!! Cheap insurance Just watch where you buy them from There are some cheap china ones out there Buy Gates or NAPA

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

generally speaking, whats the average cost to have them changed. Bought my 91 1500 last year, and also have no idea when they were done.it has 70,000km(45000 miles) so getting it done this spring.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

The job is not that hard to do if you follow the instructions that are posted on this site.
My Gates belts cost me 63 dollars total and I did mine over the course of two days. Started one afternoon and finsihed up the next morning.
I took my time to make sure that everything lined up and Lord knows how many times I turned the engine over by hand before I started her up!!

First time is always a slow go. For example, I had to replace the rear tire on my Wing and the first time I pulled the bags a trunk????....took a couple of hours to get that wheel off!
I can now strip it down and have the rear wheel off in 45 minutes! Don't ask me why I had to take it off again.....:(

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
imported post

called my local Napa store in Brandon..Napa 250275 (for a 1500?) belt $47.18 retail apiece. I can get 15% off, so $80.00 for two. Seems reasonable, and likely better than the Honda store........

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

happysailor wrote:
called my local Napa store in Brandon..Napa 250275 (for a 1500?) belt $47.18 retail apiece. I can get 15% off, so $80.00 for two. Seems reasonable, and likely better than the Honda store........
Check the delivery. NAPA didn't impress me with delivery dates.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Man........ I have been reading with interest on belts since I wanted to change mine out. I did them along with the water pump project last week. I got #250070 ( I think that is the number) NAPA belts for my 1200 back in Feb. They charged me $10.80 ea. The other parts house in town had a price of 14.99 ea (Dayco?)........ someone is bone'in you guys. They are installed and workin' fine. My closest Honda Stealer wanted $32 apiece and he is a hour away.

Just food for thought.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

I bought Gates belts for mine at O'Riley's. Ordered them one afternoon ahd them the next morning!

Napa could get one overnight but had to order a second one with no time limit on delivery given.

·
Premium Member
5,223 Posts
imported post

lsgyger wrote:
wayler wrote:

Cost was $325.

Larry
What the.....????:shock::shock::shock:

And you LET the tow truck driver lay your wing on it's side?:?:?:?

I'm sure glad it wasn't my wing...I think I would own that towing company or at least have a new wing out of it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.