Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello All,
I am new to this forum, but learning alot just by reading from all the experts.
The first question I have is How do I know where TDC intake stroke is on this Bird?
I opened up the large plug behind #4 carb and it is on TDC (T mark), I then opened up the #1,2 valve cover and both intake and exhaust valve tappetts are loose, am I there?
I got this Goldwing for free and am trying to get it to run, hopefully with everyones help. When I checked the old timing it was out by what appeared to be 90 degrees???? and the guy I got it from said it back fired so loud on him that it scarred him away from it.
Does it sound like I am on the right track??
I also had a really hard time getting the cam gears lined up, they were springgy when I was aligning them, is this normal, I guess I should explain this better, I removed both belts (I did not like the old timing alignment at all, Went to TDC T mark on plug using plug behind carb 4, then lined the cam gears up, used the Up mark and then aligned the arrows with marks near the outter case, they were difficult to align as they had spring tension and wanted to spin on me, Is this normal?
Thanks all in advance for any help you can offer.
Rick

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Momboy007 wrote:
I also had a really hard time getting the cam gears lined up, they were springgy when I was aligning them, is this normal, I guess I should explain this better, I removed both belts (I did not like the old timing alignment at all, Went to TDC T mark on plug using plug behind carb 4, then lined the cam gears up, used the Up mark and then aligned the arrows with marks near the outter case, they were difficult to align as they had spring tension and wanted to spin on me, Is this normal?
Thanks all in advance for any help you can offer.
Rick
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet Momboy007!:waving::waving:

The valve springs can make the cams want to move, just got to lock them down one way or another. Do a search on timing belts in the search box above and you'll find a lot of info.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks, So the cam gear trying to move on both sides sounds about normal?

Thanks for the advice, I will check again,

Rickl

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

It took me 3 attempts to get the marks lined upright on my 1200 The Valve springs always made it move. I ended up holding it in place with a socket and bar while slipping on the belt one cog too far and when slacked off on socket it lined up. The right facing forward is the worst

Make sure you turn engine over by hand at least twice before attempting to start.(invasive engine WILL bend a valve at the very least if done wrong)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hand turning the engine is best done with the plugs out. It's easier to feel any possible contact between the valve and piston without fighting compression.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.