Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

PO has NOT changed belts... said manual calls for the,m at 1000000 miles. Heard else where that every 40K they should be done ..... bringing bike home to AR from NC ... should I be concerned??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Honda didn't specify a timing belt change interval. On the other hand these are interference engines so if a belt should fail bent valves and damaged pistons are very likely to be a result. You could most likely go for ten or more years with no problem but new belts aren't expensive, aren't difficult to install and can lead to more peace of mind. In most cars using similar belts the change interval is around 60,000 miles or ten years, that's not a bad guideline for the 'Wing either.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

The 1500 doesn't put as much strain on the belts as did the earlier 4 cylinder wings, so Honda reduced the recommendation to inspect them at 100k.

However they didn't address age. Since your belts are approx 21 years old, the general consensus is go ahead and replace them as soon as you can. No one can predict how long they will go, or when they will give out.

If you replace them now, you are good for a long time to come. No doubt they will last at least 100,000. Or at least 10 years.

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

Wolfman wrote:
The 1500 doesn't put as much strain on the belts as did the earlier 4 cylinder wings, so Honda reduced the recommendation to inspect them at 100k.

However they didn't address age. Since your belts are approx 21 years old, the general consensus is go ahead and replace them as soon as you can. No one can predict how long they will go, or when they will give out.

If you replace them now, you are good for a long time to come. No doubt they will last at least 100,000. Or at least 10 years.
I have seen many sets of timing belts come off bikes with well over 100,000 miles and no problems. I know of some with as much as 160,000 miles and no problems.

All the hype about timing belts on message boards has some folks running scared about them.

Been riding Gold Wing's for 30 years and I am not worried about timing belts. Heck, I can remember when some folks used to "preach" change them every 40 - 50k miles. It's very easy to blow that idea out the window. I am a firm believer in basing things on my own personal experience, not "pipe dream opinions" of others.

The last set we removed from a 1989 Gold Wing Trike passes a nice little stress test, they had 130,000 miles on them.

I would really like to know if anyone has any "personal experience" concerning a GL1500 engine being destroyed by a broken timing belt. I am talking about a timing belt failure, not some other related failure. I have never know of one.....!! And I know lots of GL1500's with well over 100,000 miles on the original belts.

One of our chapter members has a very elaborate garage and we do a lot of maintenance there all the time. We are pretty lucky to have several good wrenches in our chapter (including one full-time professional motorcycle technician).

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Thank you.... based on what I see it is ofcourse always better to err on the side of caution , however , I will now relax and enjoy my ride home with out worrying about those pesky belts so much .... Thankx again family!!!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

broke one on my prelude cause i wasn't falling for the hype 700.00later doing work myself i now err on side of caution 40-50 bucks and 5 or so hours. CHEAP PIECE OF MIND... mho, good luck:waving:

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

I would really like to know if anyone has any "personal experience" concerning a GL1500 engine being destroyed by a broken timing belt. I am talking about a timing belt failure, not some other related failure. I have never know of one.....!! And I know lots of GL1500's with well over 100,000 miles on the original belts.

The statement was about timing belts on a GL1500 motorcycle.......

You respond about a timing belt on a Prelude car..........

Learn to read..........Duh........!!!!

Plus if you think it takes 5 or so hours to change timing belts on a GL1500, you obviously haven't changed too many. Or work very very very very slow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.