Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 2000 1500 which has about 35,000km ( about 22,000miles) and while the mileage is low, I figured due to the age I would try changing the timing belts before this coming riding season.

I know I'll need two timing belts and the rad fluid for the rad flush. I might as well replace the plugs at that time as well. I hate to be in the middle of a job and have to stop because I don't have all the parts I need......can you guys advise as to any other parts that might need replacing or should be replace in that process so that I can grab everything I'll need ahead of time.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be following the numerous excellent pictorials submitted on this project.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

-Crush washer for the Drain, on the water pump.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

A crush washer, or two (for the future) for the water pump, when you drain/flush the rad.

If you are getting your belts sent stateside for pick up, now would be a good time to get other maintenance items sent there aswell.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

He wants to flush the fluid out and refresh the antifreeze. Good Idea especially in the North 40.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

SMEDEN(=the blacksmith) wrote:
If my brain serves me rigth , you dont have to drain the coolant .
Al you need is two new belts.
> Some years have two coolant hoses from the water pump, that run up and over the timing belt cover.
> On some bikes, the hoses are Too Short to enable removal of the Cover, without first disconnecting the coolant hoses in order to remove the interferance.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Dusty, I was going to get the belts from the local Honda shop....any comments on that pricing vs ordering online? I haven't actually priced them yet at the local dealer.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
imported post

Honda belts at MY dealer were $75 each. I went to eBay, and got the Gates belts for $36 for BOTH.

PS I just did the same thing you did on my 96 with 42,000 miles. New belts, plugs, and a flush and fill. I did use the Honda coolant.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
imported post

Reinyrooster wrote:
Dusty, I was going to get the belts from the local Honda shop....any comments on that pricing vs ordering online? I haven't actually priced them yet at the local dealer.
In the US you can get them for 1/2 or less @ NAPA, O'Reillys etc. Don't know about availability in Canada?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Reinhard ... be prepared for extreme sticker shock when you price them out at your local Honda Stealership! :shock:

Best deal is as Sil Sam pointed out. I posted about them there a while ago, as they were the least expensive Gates belts I could find and included free shipping in the US.

Here's a link to find yourself a US shipping addy. Check out the different area/shops, as my sis found one that accepts your packages for just $3 per package

It will be worth it, especially if you make a good sized order. All you'll have to pay upon reentry, is the HST, which you'd pay here, anyways. Sometimes, you won't have to pay ... bit of a crap shoot.

That's what I do for 90% all my 'stuff' FAR cheaper!

Dusty

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

OK, great info guys, thanks. Guess I better get on the net and order some. I have a cousin in NY state and I just ship everything to his place.
Next question...hopefully without opening up a can of worms, is it worth paying the extra for iridium plugs?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

For the amount of miles you put on? .... Nope!

The OEM recommended NGKs work just fine, gaped @ 0.031

Dude ... your Avatar ... were you visiting a Proctologist's office for that pic? :ROFL: :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Reinyrooster wrote:
OK, great info guys, thanks. Guess I better get on the net and order some. I have a cousin in NY state and I just ship everything to his place.
Next question...hopefully without opening up a can of worms, is it worth paying the extra for iridium plugs?
IMHO, the iridium plugs don't offer much, if anything in the way of advantages in our bikes. I change my plugs often enough that the benefit of a long-lasting plug is nullified.

·
On a Wing & a KLR
287 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Dude  ...  your Avatar   ...  were you visiting a Proctologist's office for that pic?  

That picture was probably taken when he went to the local Honda dealer and asked the price of the belts.

Feels about the same as a proctologist visit.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Holy cow!! Called the dealer this morning......$76.44 per belt!! Guess I'll buy them on line somewhere.....and stick with the regular plugs.
Thanks for the input guys.....will sweat through this project in the spring.
So ya like that avatar? LOL!

Bow season is over.....riding season isn't here yet......man I'm going snaky!

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

Having just done the belts on my new to me 78 GL1000 with 33k miles I found that I had to unbolt the water pump cover to be able to move the radiator forward enough to get the timing covers off and work on the belts. That gasket is only good for one install apparently as when I bolted the water pump cover back up it leaks now. So, I am ordering a new gasket and will have to drain the coolant again to replace that. My feeling is that I will go ahead and replace the radiator hoses and t-stat while I have everything drained out again. Even though yours is low mileage and not all that old you may want to consider doing the same since you're going to flush everything out anyway. The extra parts will probably add around $25 or so to your project and will save you having to pull the radiator loose again for awhile. As others have already said there are lots of interchangeable parts available from auto parts sources. My belts were $52 for the pair and the radiator hoses $14 (one hose to make both from NAPA), t-stat around $6, t-stat and water pump cover gaskets about $5 for both from bikebandit. Good luck with your new bike. Everyone on here is great and the wealth of info here is awesome. I know I've learned more in the last month or so than I could have ever imagined.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
imported post

on the 1500 you don't have to remove any part of the pump but you need to drain the radiator so you can loosen the radiator hose that makes it easier to remove the timing belt cover

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.