Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Putting the timing belt covers back on my 1982 1100 interstate - it is infuriating due to them falling off everytime I almost get them on. I was thinking maybe a little rubber cement? Something to hold them in place until I get the covers seated. Thanks in advance :)

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

You might try a little dab ofheavy grease, or RTV. It's supposed to be a dry compartment, and seal is to keep the nasties OUT.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

I use silicone on mine, give it an hour or so to hold the gaskets properly before refitting.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

A little crazy glue works great, it holds quickly on rubber. It's especially good if your rubber gaskets have gotten a little out of shape with time. Just glue a couple inches at a time, hold it for 10 seconds or so and keep going until it's all stuck down. If the rubber has stretched a little as it is wont to do with time, heat and oil, this is about the only way to get it to stick. The other cements dry too slowly. I've used the stuff to stick gaskets for years. I wouldn't put it on both sides of a gasket, you'd play hell getting it off, but on one side it doesn't cause a problem. The stuff is so thin that it's no problem cleaning off in the future, just wipe it off with acetone. I don't recommend it for fiber or other type gaskets, but it's really the stuff for rubber.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

I use a tube of contact cement.
Be carefull not to allow that gasket to drop inside. A friend of mine had a mechanic change the belts and they didnt put the rubber gasket on correctly, as he was riding it dropped inside somehow and got between the belt and the drive....whoops.....back to the shop....on a trailer....bent valve etc.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Do you remember what the new repair bill total was? I'm assuming it was covered by whoever did the work. I'm just curious as to the cost.

Thanks much.

Tony

"A friend of mine had a mechanic change the belts and they didnt put the rubber gasket on correctly, as he was riding it dropped inside somehow and got between the belt and the drive....whoops.....back to the shop....on a trailer....bent valve etc."

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

tricky wrote:
I use a tube of contact cement.
Be careful not to allow that gasket to drop inside. A friend of mine had a mechanic change the belts and they didn't put the rubber gasket on correctly, as he was riding it dropped inside somehow and got between the belt and the drive....whoops.....back to the shop....on a trailer....bent valve etc.
That's one nice thing about crazy glue, it dries almost immediately, and holds much more tightly than a lot of gasket cements. It doesn't leave black gook as does Permatex and it's ilk. Weatherstrip cement will work but it's messy and doesn't always hold to old rubber or if there's a tiny bit of oil on the surface.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

This happened when he was down in Ohio and the mechanic was a friend....some friend :) I do think he covered the repair. and it was way back around 87 so I really cant remember how much it would have cost.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
imported post

Funny, I just did this yesterday. :cool:

I used some RTV gasket sealant - but very messy and I had to wipe it off of my just-polished covers :shock:

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I think everyone uses some sort of selant on the rubbers, almost impossible to do otherwise. I use gasket-goo and let it set for a while first before fitting up.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey tjbrh :waving: I have noticed that you joined this forum on the 9th July '04 and have only posted 12 mesgs in that time.:crying:What really puzzels me is that you are a "Guru" :stumped: How was it figured in so few mesgs that you have "Guru" status. :whip: I think we are looking at another investigation. :crying:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Well I have allowed the PC Glisten (two coats) to cure and am now ready to reassemble - here is a really silly question - do I put the gasket on the covers with the super glue or onto the engine? Does it matter? Which is easier? Thanks guys! :):):)

Mike

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

mjohnson wrote:
Well I have allowed the PC Glisten (two coats) to cure and am now ready to reassemble - here is a really silly question - do I put the gasket on the covers with the super glue or onto the engine? Does it matter? Which is easier? Thanks guys! :):):)

Mike
Glue the rubber gaskets to the cover, you don't need to put anything on the engine side of them.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

GWNorman wrote:
I think everyone uses some sort of selant on the rubbers, almost impossible to do otherwise. I use gasket-goo and let it set for a while first before fitting up.
How true Norman, black silicone for me. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.