Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Can anyone tell me where I might find a new rubber gasket for the timing belt covers? I've looked at bike bandit and couldn't find any. Thanks for any help.

Duane:X

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

These are still available from Honda dealers, the part numbers are;

11831-MG9-680 Gasket, R front cover
11832-MG9-000 Gasket, L front cover

Also bear in mind that they are included in the top end gasket set (so are the ones for the cylinder head covers).

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Better off with the Honda rubbers for the cam and rocker covers. The aftermarket ones never fit well and you end up cutting and trimming them.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Dave Campbell wrote:
Yep, buy OEM, the damage that ocurrs from fitting the wrong ones is impressive.
I can verify that. I seen a timing belt that broke on a GL1100 and actually destroyed the engine. The cause of the belt breaking was a spurious cam cover gasket. It was too thin and had stripped along the inside of the cover,eventually gettingcaught up in the timing belt and breaking it.
The engine was ruined becausethe head of one ofthe valves snaped off when it hit the piston. They usually just bend instead of snapping, but there you haveit.The broken head of the valve took a chunk out of the cylinder liner and another engine had to be sourced. The original engine onlyhad 29000 mile when this disaster happened.

BTW, welcome to the forum Dave. You've been a busy man posting today and you obviously know what you are talking about. :waving:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Those aftermarket rubbers can be a chore to get fitted. It's one area where the Hnda items are better.
Looks like us on the night shift doing our stint on the forum eh? Like some of the other lads mentioned, welcome to Steves forum Dave. Your input will be of great help to many of us.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Thank you, thank you one and all. Im down ill right now so Ive plenty of time to talk - er - type. Have another hole in m' head due to dental surgery and am taking college classes in mechanics.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Dave Campbell wrote:
Thank you, thank you one and all. Im down ill right now so Ive plenty of time to talk - er - type. Have another hole in m' head due to dental surgery and am taking college classes in mechanics.
Taking them? You should be teaching them Dave! :clapper:

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Jason wrote:
Dave Campbell wrote:
Yes indeed. I see Guru status on this forum for Dave soon. Old Redwing will be sick when this happens.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

I say guru status for Dave, even though he has just joined us. We should send PMs to the wingnut and wexman to let them know. Lets get lobbying! ;)

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
I say guru status for Dave, even though he has just joined us. We should send PMs to the wingnut and wexman to let them know. Lets get lobbying! ;)
I'd safely say that they have been told already. ;)Welcome to the message board Dave, I've learned a lot from reading your posts. Definitely up there with the other gurus!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've been using crazy glue to attach rubber gaskets to metal pieces. In fact did it today when I reinstalled the timing covers on my bike. Started using it to stick rubber edge trim on aircraft fairing, found it holds better than weather strip cement. Just lay afilm of glue on the thin edge of the cover, a few inches at a time and press the rubber down, the stuff sticks very quickly.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Jason wrote:
Dave Campbell wrote:
Welllll.... Im not even close to that in mech. But electronics on the other hand... Been tinkering with sparks since age 6 and Im 40-something now.

OMIGOSH, thanks to all for the press, I just got taggedby Wingnut so I guess its official. Now I have to rise above Village Idiot LOL

Whats really nice is that both this board, and the smaller one I frequent in U.K. http://the-stable.lancs.ac.uk/~esarie/honda/techbrd.htm

have just extrordinary folk on board compared to some of the other bbs'es Ive deleted from the Fav's list.

"I've been using crazy glue to attach rubber gaskets to metal pieces. In fact did it today when I reinstalled the timing covers on my bike."

10-4 good buddy, thats what the do Factory, to hold in place for assembly. Wouldnt hurt to put gasket sealer on the whole length. Hylomar rocks

If you want a good laugh - I have used K-Y Jelly to lubricate brake and clutch pivots. :jumper:

Lubricates well and wont damage the paint if it spooges out. I can hear the jokes now...

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

That's the fastest anyone got made a guru here Dave, Guiness book of records for sure! Expect to see the forum clown Redwing start whinging anytime now, he's been begging for guruship for months but the wingnut and the wexman aren't haveing any of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.