Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

How can you tell the difference from from a 1100 and a 1200 timing belt covers?

My left side is bad on my 85 1200 interstate and my brother n law gave me a set of timing covers and he didn't know if they where for 1100 or 1200 I believe they are for a 1100. I haven't taken mind apart yet once I do I may be doing more work on it when I open it up. :waving:

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

1200s are smooth and 1100s have ridges on them.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,594 Posts
imported post

Those covers are pretty easy to refinish. Start with 80 grit sandpaper and work your way down. No one knows how to get the Honda finish, so most just buff them to semi-chrome.

About 4 years ago, I sprayed clear coat on mine and a recent hail storm removed it for me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Those covers are pretty easy to refinish. Start with 80 grit sandpaper and work your way down. No one knows how to get the Honda finish, so most just buff them to semi-chrome.

About 4 years ago, I sprayed clear coat on mine and a recent hail storm removed it for me.
That's not my problem my problem is my left side timing coveris broken I have aluminum tape around the it so nothing can get in there not sure how this can happen except for a guess that the belt may have broken at one time I also see this bike has been down hard on the right side by look at the bottom of the motor guard and floorboard I have many concerns now. LOL but oh well when you can only afford so much being on SS. Its a good project for me. It will never be right but I can try LOL should be a parts bike I think but runs ok so far except for oil leaks which will get fix soon. I hope LOL :?

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

Okay, this is a wild suggestion: Go to Harbor Freight, get some Alumaweld rod and a propane torch.

Clear the cover real well, especially remove the clear coat on the exterior with paint remover. Then line up the pieces and weld them back together.

Alumaweld is more like solder than welding, but it can be done without a TIG welder. Take your time, practice on some aluminum scraps and you really can patch up broken aluminum. With work, you can get it down to where you grind, sand an polish.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

bcassel wrote:
Okay, this is a wild suggestion: Go to Harbor Freight, get some Alumaweld rod and a propane torch.

Clear the cover real well, especially remove the clear coat on the exterior with paint remover. Then line up the pieces and weld them back together.

Alumaweld is more like solder than welding, but it can be done without a TIG welder. Take your time, practice on some aluminum scraps and you really can patch up broken aluminum. With work, you can get it down to where you grind, sand an polish.
That is a very good suggestion but I don't have the pieces to weld back it was in Dec. when I bought the bike and didn't know what to look out for that's life for a old man.LOL Been a good project for me.I am a certified welder and able to do all that. I use to work as a Boilermaker local# 83 out of KC and I work in steel fabrication shop after my body couldn't handle all the heavy work in the field.

But I did buy a set of timing belt covers in this group on the for sale forum sent the money off today for them. So I guessing I will have them first of next week being they are only about 100 mile or so from.

That is still very good advice you gave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.