Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Help !! I am in the process of changing timing belts and according to Clymers you must first set the crank to the T 1 line and then set the cam gears to both respective marks . Well I have the crank and left side cam gear aligned properly but I cannot get the right side cam gear to budge. I believe everything rotates clockwise when looking from the front of the bike. I have already broken the mounting bolt on the right side cam gear and fortunately gotten it out with an easy out but how do I get that right side cam gear to move to it's proper alignment. Thanks

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
imported post

PS. I usually sign on as Artmann but that is on my PC at work and I am off today and could not remember my user or password.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

I think it is possible that you have interference valves with pistons... temporarily, rotate the crankshaft about 90 degrees from T1 either way (just remember which direction you turn it, so you can later turn it back to T1). This will get the pistons out of the way.. now get your cam gears lined up with the marks... then move the crank back to T1.. now you can put your belts on... You won't know until you are finished (by how it runs or a compression check) if there has been any valve damage... I hope that this is not the case..

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Sandiegobrass,

You're the man !!! Worked out fine. Just have to hold that gear in position till I get belts on . Thanks

Art

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.