Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi there everyone.

As Posted on the General Forum, I have purchased a NOS GL1500 engine.

I have had comments earlier that I should swap out the Timing Belts right away due to old age... (The belts, not me...) :dude:

So I'm am thinking, that if this engine has zero run time, the belts look to be in B/N appearance, why should I have to change them out?

There has been no heat from the engine on these belts, no wear & tear from many miles of usage.

Would these belts be any different than the replacement belts I would install that may have been hanging on a rack for how many years?

Especially if I choose Honda timing belts..who knows how long they sit for.. (since they are double the money..):shock:

The manual doesn't have an interval to change out the belts on a 1500, just an inspection but no time frame specified..

What is the public opinion on this?

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Also, is there members here that have never changed them on their 1500's?? How many miles/Km's have you run on them?
Thanks very much!

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

I changed the belts on my 98 when I got the bike a year ago. It had the originals and the very knowledgeable PO said if he kept the bike he wouldn't be changing them for another year or so.

I'm a belt and braces guy and felt more secure with the new ones. In reality the old ones looked OK as they only had about 28,000 miles on them.

What is the age of the engine? Where was it stored? How easy is it to do it now vs later?

I ended up with Honda belt$$ as NAPA was giving me a run around and I wanted the bike on the road.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

5 years or 50,000 miles. Rubber sitting for years does dry out and get weaker. The question is do you want to gamble on a BIG $$$$ job when $30 and a couple of hours will avoid the issue? BUY Napa belts not Honda they are the same, Gates I think.

·
Premium Member
3,771 Posts
imported post

If you are looking for "opinions" then I say don't chance them. My bike isn't a 1500 but I didn't change mineandpaid the price. With a NOS engine or any engine that has sat for ?? years the belts develop a kink, bend or whatever where they contact the sprockets. Also they are under a slight pressure from the tensioners. I would trustbelts that have been run on a regular basis before I would trust your "old" NOS belts. Opinions? Everybody has one. Mine is based on experience. Tom

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

I do not have a 1500........but when I got my 82 Aspy, the PO had no idea of when the belts had been changed. I inspected them and they looked great.....but after reading post from some of the forum, I spent the 45 bucks on new belts and changed them out. It was alot easier dolling out 45 than having to rebuild or buy another motor:baffled:. Even in your case of a "new" motor, why take the chance?

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
imported post

i agree with dingdong. yes the belts have not had the heat and cool down cycles but they still have been stressed by the tensioners. if it was me i would change them

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

I agree with dingdong on this one Tom.They have been stretched into a certain bent position for who knows how long.I personally wouldn't use them.I got caught on this before with my brother inlaws Civic.He purchased a motor from Japan Auto in Toronto.These motors are supposed to be right from Japan and have less than 50,000 klm's on them because of their emission laws.Can't run them over 50k without a rebuild so they scrap the cars.Anyway the motor didn't look like it had been in a car other than the cables and wiring being cut.I took a look at the belt anyway and it looked like new.Brother inlaw didn't want to spring for a new belt when it looked good.Long story short the belt didn't last a month.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

I agree, change them. It's a lot easier when the engine is on the bench.:waving:

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

Change them out. Your already worried about it. If they break you'll be mad at yourself.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

My opinion is that it's your engine. Do what you want with it.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Mr. Fix it wrote:
Hi there everyone.

As Posted on the General Forum, I have purchased a NOS GL1500 engine.......
...What is the public opinion on this?

OPINION UPDATE ++++++++++++++

Brain Flash!!! or Brain fart??:D:D:D

I'm glad to see the public opinion is leaning heavily to installing the new belts!:cool:

My attempt to see what opinions are where on this are what I was thinking all along.:rollingeyes:

These new old belts will make great decorations in my garage.

There is no use taking a chance on shortening the life of this new engine.:angel2:

Now, the next question...

Th oil in this crankcase is about 16 years old... would you change it out even though it has never been used or run it?
:D

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

The oilwill be very thick after all this time. I would add some water to it to thin it out. Or better yet a half gallon of laquer thinner.:D

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I'd go with either some tranny fluid to thin it out with or some Seafoam to cut it loose.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

Lol how much you paid for that NOS engine?? sounds like a good xmas gift!!!..

well belts are made of rubber or soemthing like that, that due to age gets old and could break.

definitely change the oil.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

It might be break-in oil and if it's never been run should be fine. I used to work on large industrial diesel engines and they rarely change oil. Regular analysis yes, but oil doesn't go bad or "thicken" with age. Additives break down and combustion by-products dilute oil but if there's no evidence of moisture - you would probably be better off using the "break-in" oil from the factory and then change it around 500 miles.

The belts? I would probably be okay with them too if the engine hasn't been sitting outside all this time. Sure, it's older rubber and might be stiff in a couple places but they're probably fine. You will probably always worry about it though - it's easy enough to do with the engine out of the bike, yes?

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Sale price was $1,200 including starter, alternator, & carbs. All brand new..

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

AirCutoff wrote:
Sure, it's older rubber and might be stiff in a couple places but they're probably fine.
Why oh why would you not change them? 16 year old rubbers have never worked well for me :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:. Spend the few bucks for the security then ride it about 80,000 before you even have to think about it again :action:

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

That is sweet!! I would love to find 4 or 5 like that for the 1000!!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,651 Posts
imported post

Tom and fatwing chris said it best.

You are already worrying about it, cut the worry, and buy the insurance package. It's only $45 to insure that engine will run several hundred thousand miles.

New belts, Sea Foam to cut the sludge, 200 miles, drain it. New oil with those new belts, and it will hum along forever.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.