Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys, need some help. I just replaced the timing belts on my 98 1500 SE. Followed the precedure to the letter and installed new Gates T275 belts and new plugs (NGK OEM). Aligned crankshaft and cam gears precisely on the marks, installed new belts and tensioned as prescribed. Turned crankshaft several revolutions with ratchet, no noise or restrictions felt. Installed the new plugs, re-connected battery, and started engine. I now have a ticking noise on the right side of the engine. I haven't run the engine past idle but there is definitely a noise that was not there before. I haven't replaced the timing belt covers yet so I re-checked the gear alignments and all three marks are dead on. What did I do wrong? I know I came to the right place for advise.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving: Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Sites WOODSMITH! :waving::waving:

It's hard to say what's causing the ticking noise from here. It may be that the noise you're hearing was there all along and not noticed when the timing cover and fairing was on the bike. It's possible it might be valve noise too. A long screwdriver used like a stethescope on the rocker covers might give some clues.

·
Premium Member
62,056 Posts
imported post

How fast is the click accruing ?? May be a clog on one of the belts has an small imperfection.. Or a slightly tighter tension roller.. If it's not all that loud, like exavid said with everything open and you listening for a noise, could have been there all a long and you missed it.........

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the replies guys. This new noise is very obvious so I'm sure it isn't something that was there before. I'm afraid it sounds like a valve noise but I just can't figure out what could have caused it.

·
Premium Member
62,056 Posts
imported post

Use Exavid's screwdriver trick and that will tell you what bank it is real quick.. That's a start.. I'd think if it was something you did with the belts and you were off a click, you'd hear more than one valve..
One of these engine guys have got to jump in there with some ideas... They can't all be in the rack............

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

A big welcome to the forum, Woodsmith. Can't add much to the already good advice. Any possibility that something dropped into a plug hole when the plugs were out? Check the ends of all the old plugs for missing parts.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the welcome Hawker. I plugged the plug holes (boy, that sounds funny) with clean shop rags as soon as I removed each plug and I also blew the cavities out with a blow gun prior to removing the plugs so I don't think anything found it's way into the cylinders. As for the old plugs I did inspect those upon removal and they still look like new. I'm going to play with it a little more tonite and if I don't have any success I guess it's off to the stealer. Boy, try to do a little preventative maintenance and look what happens.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Woodsmith!

I changed the timing belts on my 91 Interstate just a couple of weeks ago and was surprised at how much quieter the engine was in the timing belt area.
I can now hear the slides clicking in the carbs when I open and close the throttle plus hear valve train noise when I put my ear close to the valve covers. I never noticed these "noises" before!

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

Ticking sound could be a spark plug lead that is not fully pressed down on the spark plug causing the spark to jump the gap

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
imported post

In the event that it may be a sticking valve; add about 3 oz. of good old MMO(Marvel Mystery Oil)to your crankcase AND gas tank and run engine a while. This MAY cure tick, as it did many times for me on many vehicle engines over the years. Swear by the stuff; use it often in our Wing. TTFN....

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,844 Posts
imported post

MMO is really great stuff, have used it for years.

Sea Foam will do the same thing, but a lot faster. Add the recommended amount to the oil and run it for a 100 miles or so. Listen to see if it is any better.

With the Sea Foam though, you will want to change out the oil within a couple hundred miles I should think. Lot of junk going to be dissolved and wanting out of there :D

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Pull the belt covers and run the engine and see if it is something there.
You might be slapping the case with an overly loose belt.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Also take screwdriver and see if it is the tesioners/ idlers ticking.I took some brake clean and squirted a tiny bit on the idler while running at idle, and the sound went away till the cleaner evaporated.Changed the idler and that was it. This was on my van, but same deal. Good luck,:waving: jimsjinx

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

A bit risky putting solvents on the tensioners, that could damage the lubrication in the bearings.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

You did not by chance loosen the bolt to the cam gear when trying to align the timing marks? That was where I had my tick noise. I removed mine and re-torqued with Loc-Tight.

Get a 5 dollar stethoscope. Probearound. On rotating shafts, you probe the center.

Tick vs snap. Grab the right side plug wires with your handand see if you get shocked, ha. When my buddy and Iwere kids, his grandpa would tell him to piss on the plugs to stop the lawnmower motor...he said he did. Is your tick constant and noticeable at higher rpms?

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Good morning guys. Thanks a bunch for all of the advise. Let me give you an update on this situation. I came home from work last night and started the bike. Engine started right up and idled perfectly. The noise I heard the prior evening (which was pretty loud and scarry then)was much quieter and didn't seem to be centered on the right side valve cover as before. This is definitely a mechanical tick and is definitely coming from the valve cover area although as I mentioned it seems more centrally located now and much quieter than it was. I let it idle for 10 min. or so and no real change. I re-checked the pulley alignments and pretty much everything else in the timing belt area and all looks as it should. I tried the screwdriver/stethescope trick and can't seem to nail down the origin of this damn noise. I'm leaning toward this being some kind of lifter noise and will probably try the MMO as suggested in the gas and crankcase before making a trip to the stealer. I can't explain the "coincidence" of this happening when I do a timing belt change but I suppose stranger things have happened. Foosman, I did check that bolt and it is tight. Thanks again for all the help and if anyone happens to be hit with anymore ideas, I'm all ears.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Sometimes a slight exhaust leak can sound like a mechanical tick. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

ok guys i figured this out!!...all by myself!;)...you got a belt 1 tooth out...will run but you get a tick...easy mistake to do
....it looks like the right tooth but the one before it... etc......it didnt do it before new belts right?!!...hopefully you havent nicked up anything too bad...good luck

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

In your first post you mentioned that you hadn't fitted the timing belt covers.

In your last post you say things have quietened down now but the click or tap is still there but quieter, was that with the belt covers removed as before, or fitted in position? Often with the covers in place some subtle sounds are somewhat muffled by the casings, cam rustle, valves etc.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

good news gents...the ticking will get quieter after you bend the valves alittle:D

Wingle wrote:
In your first post you mentioned that you hadn't fitted the timing belt covers.

In your last post you say things have quietened down now but the click or tap is still there but quieter, was that with the belt covers removed as before, or fitted in position? Often with the covers in place some subtle sounds are somewhat muffled by the casings, cam rustle, valves etc.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.