Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found all the aftermarket part numbers for timing belts for my 1995 GL1500. Now....to open a can of worms. Due to FAR more experience than I have, I would like to ask all you veterans if you have a preference in belt manufacturers. Are there some better than others? When it comes to belts, I would like to think that what I am installing is the best on the market. I would appreciate your expertise.

The three I am looking at include:

Gates - #T275
NAPA - #250275
Goodyear - #40275

Thanks!

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
The Gates and NAPA are the same thing, both gates and Gates makes the OE belts for Honda.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Pretty well your best deal on a set of new Gates T -275 timing belts is from Amazon.com. :wink:

That's where I got my present set from.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty well your best deal on a set of new Gates T -275 timing belts is from Amazon.com. :wink:

That's where I got my present set from.

Dusty
Interestingly enough I was just there looking at them and Amazon claims that they don't fit my '95 Interstate. They referred me to a manufacturer that I had never heard of and wanted over $53.00 for a single belt! YIKES!!!!

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
The T275 fits only the GL1500s.

I installed a set in 2009 and will be installing the set I got from Amazon this winter, as I have put on 157,768km/98,033mi since the last time I changed them. (Gates T275)

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
The T275 fits only the GL1500s.

I installed a set in 2009 and will be installing the set I got from Amazon this winter, as I have put on 157,768km/98,033mi since the last time I changed them. (Gates T275)
How accurate is Amazons fitment chart , it says the T275 doesnt fit a 97 1500A...many thanks

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
How accurate is Amazons fitment chart , it says the T275 doesnt fit a 97 1500A...many thanks
The line "The T275 only fits the GL1500" says it all. Don't believe what a chart created by a web company says, trust the hundreds if not thousands of us on here who have bought and installed them.

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
Yes, you need two belts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
The line "The T275 only fits the GL1500" says it all. Don't believe what a chart created by a web company says, trust the hundreds if not thousands of us on here who have bought and installed them.

Thats always good enough for me

Can I assume if I order the T-275 that I need to order two?

Craig
Yes , that much I do know...LOL

·
Son of Bronson
121 Posts
One more vote for Gates belts as being the best.
There are thousands of kit-built airplanes out there that use toothed belts to
drive the propeller. It is constantly emphasized on the forums to use Gates
belts since they last twice as long as other brands, and you don't want to trust
your life to a cheap belt at 5000 feet up.
I just bought Gates from Amazon for my GL-1000.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Yes Craigmri. You will need a pair of cam belts to do the job. The Gates T-275 will most definately work. Check that the idler pulleys spin freely while you are at it.

gumbyred

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Yes Craigmri. You will need a pair of cam belts to do the job. The Gates T-275 will most definately work. Check that the idler pulleys spin freely while you are at it.

gumbyred

Thanks Gumby and all who responded. This forum is awesome!

·
Administrator
25,600 Posts
Interestingly enough I was just there looking at them and Amazon claims that they don't fit my '95 Interstate. They referred me to a manufacturer that I had never heard of and wanted over $53.00 for a single belt! YIKES!!!!
I believe the belts are actually made for some car engine so their application chart probably does not list them to fit anything else. I have seen that before on Amazon, seems nothing they have fits any motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Just ordered two Gates T275 belts...$31 shipped to my door(Amazon). What a deal!

My '98 Aspencade only has 8500 miles but at 14 years old I want peice of mind knowing that they're new.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I changed my 14 year, low mileage, old belts last year for peace of mind too. I was pleased to see though that the originals still looked as good as new with no signs of cracking at all. But still glad I did the job as it does give peace of mind knowing.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just ordered a couple Gates T275's for myself too.

Thanks for all the help everybody......This IS a great forum!

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Yeah, I ordered some struts for my wife`s car from A****n and even though their database had them as the right ones they wouldn`t fit. To make a long story short, I still have the wrong struts in my garage trying to get rid of them and had to get a new pair sent. Always go to manufacturers page for application. A****n is not always right.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.