Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
And do yourselves, or the next owner, a favor and write the mileage and date on the inside of the timing belt cover with a black felt marker. Because those bikes will definitely last long enough to need at least one more set.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
I believe the belts are actually made for some car engine so their application chart probably does not list them to fit anything else. I have seen that before on Amazon, seems nothing they have fits any motorcycle.
Pretty sure the GL1200 fits some auto applications, none of the other Goldwing belts do.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
And do yourselves, or the next owner, a favor and write the mileage and date on the inside of the timing belt cover with a black felt marker. Because those bikes will definitely last long enough to need at least one more set.
You just put a BIIIIIG :) on my face!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
:thumbsup:Gates #T275

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Well I had to re-order timing belts this morning. Between my lovely wife and daughter one of them threw away 2 brand new belts I had recieved last week. :eek::X

They thought the box was empty so tossed it out for the garbage man. So that being said. My $26 deal on belts just turned into a $52 deal.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
Well I had to re-order timing belts this morning. Between my lovely wife and daughter one of them threw away 2 brand new belts I had recieved last week. :eek::X

They thought the box was empty so tossed it out for the garbage man. So that being said. My $26 deal on belts just turned into a $52 deal.
:eek: CLEAN FREAKS! :eek:

·
Premium Member
292 Posts

That there is one of them "Catch 22"...bless em for cleaning up but...........good luck

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Belts

On this site and another I frequented for my GL1000 and GL1100 it was always recommended to change the belts, it's easy to do especially if you don't know the history. I replaced them on the 1000 (still in my basement) and on the 1100 before I ever took it out of my driveway. When I was looking at 1500's a dealer in NY hadn't replaced them on an extremely low mileage, 1700miles or so, 1994 GL1500 and commented they didn't need to be done until 90 or 100K. When I got an inspection sticker on the '98 I finally bought, the mechanic at the Honda Dealer and long time mechanic kind of brushed off I'd really need to replace them, 98 with 15K on it. I have a cousin that has put a lot of mileage on his wings, now driving an 1800, and when I commented about replacing the belts he looked like I had two heads. I know there are broken belts out there but it also sounds like many people put lots of miles on GLs before they ever replace the belts. I think when I looked up the time/mileage in the manual it was something like 100k or 10 years.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Parman, you sure you aren't married to my wife? :grin: Mine is better than she used to be about throwing things out but things still "disappear" and no one knows where they went?? Well if the guy in the landfill has a Gold Wing he'll appreciate their generosity. :action:

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Looked on Amazon, I believe it was yesterday or maybe day before, and the Gates T275's were $12.00 and change. This morning back up to $16.00 and change. Still a far cry from OEM however!

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Timing Belt

Just check Amazon and they state that the Gates T275 does not fit my 1990 GW Aspencade :? Can someone tell me if they do? They do not list a belt for my bike. My local dealer wanted $76 each :wtf: :shock:

Thanks in advance. :15magenta::claps:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Just check Amazon and they state that the Gates T275 does not fit my 1990 GW Aspencade :? Can someone tell me if they do? They do not list a belt for my bike. My local dealer wanted $76 each :wtf: :shock:

Thanks in advance. :15magenta::claps:
Direct quote from the Goldwings Tips page:

"GL1500 Timing Belts. Goodyear 40275 timing belts are available for the GL1500. Gates have been supplying the T275 timing belt for the GL1500. Also available is the Napa 250275. Note that the same timing belts fit all GL1500 models from 1988-2000."

Q. - What does Amazon know compared to the wealth of knowledge on this site?
A. - SQUAT.

Used the T275 on my '97. Easier to change timing belts on the 1500 than any previous model IMHO. Tutorials on this site for that, too.

·
Premium Member
4,211 Posts
Toooo late. I see someone got'm. Hopefully a member here.
HURRY HURRY HURRY
$10.29 EACH!!!
They'll go QUICK. It's a By-It-Now sale.

2 Belts

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.