Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike I'm looking at had the belts changed 15k ago, but it was also five years ago. Five years ok or no ?

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Age wise, what would you all recommend as max. ?
My opinion on age is 10 to 15 years. Many have gone farther but it is up to you how much you want to risk..

Timing belt quality will not change significantly within eight (8) years of proper storage, as outlined in Rubber Manufacturers Technical Bulletin IP-3-4. A proper storage environment has been defined as an ambient temperature of less than 85°F and relative humidity of less than 70%. Service life is expected to decrease 10% per year for each year of storage beyond eight (8) years. In addition, storage limitation decreases by 50% for each 15°F increase in storage temperature. Storage temperatures should never exceed 115°F.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My opinion on age is 10 to 15 years. Many have gone farther but it is up to you how much you want to risk..

Timing belt quality will not change significantly within eight (8) years of proper storage, as outlined in Rubber Manufacturers Technical Bulletin IP-3-4. A proper storage environment has been defined as an ambient temperature of less than 85°F and relative humidity of less than 70%. Service life is expected to decrease 10% per year for each year of storage beyond eight (8) years. In addition, storage limitation decreases by 50% for each 15°F increase in storage temperature. Storage temperatures should never exceed 115°F.
Thanks, sounds good. I have no desire to take chances on something so important but also don't want to change them out if not needed.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Personaly belts get changed as soon as you buy it unless you are buying it from a good freind who you know has changed them

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Personaly belts get changed as soon as you buy it unless you are buying it from a good freind who you know has changed them
Agreed fortunately in this case it was from someone I know and trust who also had a receipt.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,253 Posts
Agree with the ten or so years as a good time to change them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
Okay, so somebody is gonna shoot me down in flames here but I'll say it anyway. If you don't know the exact history of your bike or know and personally trust the guy that last owned it.

"THEN CHANGE YOUR BELTS"

·
Registered
427 Posts
I wholehartedly agree, no history=change them, also i personaly recon 8 yrs/50,000 max as belts are cheaper then valves

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
What year bike you looking at,1000/1100/1200 are easier to change than a 1500,less stuff to remove but the 1500 cams will stay put when the belt is off.
I think the 80- 82 will be harder on belts,more engine rpm?

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
I wholehartedly agree, no history=change them, also i personaly recon 8 yrs/50,000 max as belts are cheaper then valves
And a whole lot easier to get!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I heard the noise they make when they break and I had looked at them not too long before it broke and I don’t want to hear that 2000 miles from home,I just changed the 1500 ones,only had 40 k on it but the time line got me afraid,40 k miles in 20 years,Bike set for a while why I was out trucking.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I change mine every 5 years it is cheap insurance this type of belt gives no sign of failure when they get old they are not like V-belts that stretch.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts