Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

what is the proper interval or milage to replace timming belt for gl1800 ,and gl 1500 ..as in owners manual it is not mentioned thanks

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

The GL1800 does not have a timing belt, it has a chain drive for the cams. The GL1500 belt replacement interval is not a cut and dried amount and opinions vary. If you have bought a 1500 and do not know when the belts were replaced it would be prudent to go ahead and replace them immediately. Otherwise a reasonable interval would be about 50-60 thousand miles or every 5-6 years whichever comes first.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

Opinions will vary. Type of environment can affect belt life (very hot/dry may lead to deterioration, etc) as will age and mileage. Every 6-8 years and/or 50-75k miles is what many I have spoken to keep as a guide.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Every few years change is common sense. If the original poster has a gl1800,he won't have to worry about timing belts.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

I always have used 100,000 miles or 10 years on the 1500.I would change the 1100, and 1200 Gold Wings at around 50,000 miles, or 5 years. For some reason I have heard of them breaking more often.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I dreaded the old timing belt job for a couple years! But once I committed to it, and got into it, the tutorials on here made it one of the LEAST difficult things I have had to do! It's not hard to do at all. Even for a clutz like me!! Just follow the instructions to the letter, and you'll get it done in no time at all. It's more hassle to flush your radiator!!! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

thanks for the feedback ... choppas i did update my profile but seems i did not save it properly however i did get 2005 gl 1800 but i am just discovering and i asked for both gl 1500 and 1800 because i have a friend that just got gl 1500 and is new as well thats why i asked for both ....i will update the profile once again now ..thanks again for your feedback ..

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

The 1500 being 6 cyl doesn't put as much strain on the belts as the earlier 4 cyl wings did.The lobe pattern is very even on the 1500 so the strain is very constant. That's why the Honda recommendation is so much higher for the 1500 than the earlier bikes.

In fact, they don't even recommend the replacement, they only recommend an inspection at 100,000 miles.

But in my experience, in order to do an inspection, you have to do so much work that it's only a bit more to just go ahead and replace them.

In addition, most people here seem to feel that the significant issue has now become the age of the belts due to time, not mileage. The rubber is bound to dry out after a number of years. There isn't a hard and fast rule, but the general consensus has been that if your belts are over 10 years old it's time to change them. And if you buy a bike and you do not know when they were changed, the only safe assumption is that they haven't been changed and go ahead and change them.

Some people here aren't comfortable with the 10 years, and so recommend even sooner. Most recommendations I've seen fall between 6 and 10 years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.