Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

New timing belts installedon 85 Aspy about a month before parking the Wing for the winter.Should the tension of the belts be checked at some point? Thanks.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The book calls for 1/4" (plus or minus 1/64", like who can measure that?) slack when pressed with 4.4lbs pressure in the center of the tension side (the side without the idler wheels). A tad loose is better than a tad tight, too tight will often cause whistle or squeaking sounds.

If you've been riding it awhile since the belts were changed and they aren't making any noise, leave them alone.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

You won't need to go near the belts again until it's time to replace them again.

Hey Paul, 756 posts! Well done man. You could almost throw a stone at Redwing from that distance! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Set them and forget them until it's time for the routine mileage inspection.. I believe it's every 24,000 miles. Look for tooth wear on the drive side, cracks and threads hanging off the cut edges.. Other than that, leave them alone..

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks a bunch All That leaves Me one less thing to do before I put the Wing back on the road Three Weeks and counting.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

weewillywing wrote:
You won't need to go near the belts again until it's time to replace them again.

Hey Paul, 756 posts! Well done man. You could almost throw a stone at Redwing from that distance! ;)
Nah I can't do that, I live in a glass house! :goofygrin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.